Skip to Main Content



Claims for money damages against the State of Tennessee that involve the Department of Transportation are covered by the Tennessee Claims Commission Act found in Title 9, Chapter 8, Parts 3 and 4, of the Tennessee Code Annotated. The first step in making such a claim is to give written notice of the claim to the Tennessee Department of Treasury (see T.C.A. Section 9-8-402). To file a claim, visit

  • If your claim is based on dangerous conditions on state maintained highways (e.g., potholes or objects in the road, you will be required to prove your claim, by providing the following:
    Proof of the incident directly causing the allged damage;
    The exact location where the incident occurred and records of your repairs;
    Evidence that the state was aware of the dangerous road condition prior to your incident; and
    Evidence that the state could have repaired the dangerous road condition prior to your incident and neglected to do so.

For more information on filing a claim or questions regarding the status of a claim that has already been filed, contact the Division of Claims Administration at (615) 741-2734 or visit the Tennessee Department of Treasury website.