Graduate Transportation Engineering Program
The Tennessee Department of Transportation’s Graduate Transportation Engineering Program is a highly competitive, professional development sequence that allows entry-level engineers and recent graduates to gain hands-on experience in the areas of Geodetics, Construction, Roadway Design, and Traffic Operations and Design.
The Graduate Transportation Engineering (GTE) Program is a structured two-year rotation program, providing exposure to TDOT as a whole and allowing for the GTE to experience the value each unit provides in delivering a transportation project. The rotation program is curriculum-based and customized to address the needs and the goals of each unit. The GTE will be provided the opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the team right from the start with hands-on experience in the selected disciplines.
Want to be notified with future Graduate Transportation Engineering Program opportunities? Email TDOT.Careers@tn.gov to be added to our notification list!
For questions related to the GTE Program, please contact Katie Cantley at Katie.Cantley@tn.gov or Sammy Koszalka at Samantha.Koszalka@tn.gov.
Applications for the 2023 GTE Class will be open Thursday, February 23, 2023 - Wednesday, March 15, 2023.
Applications for the 2023 GTE Class will be open Thursday, Februrary 23, 2023 through Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 11:50pm CT.
- Must have proof of completion of Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Project Management, or Concrete Industry Management prior to start date
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- First Round Interview Questions will be distributed via email from the Department of Human Resources after application window closes.
- When completing this, the applicant will be able to designate desired work location/Region.
- Only applicants who complete the First Round Interview Questions will be considered to move forward in the hiring process.
- Applicants who meet minimum qualifications and have completed the First Round Interview Questions will be invited to participate in a phone interview with TDOT Human Resources team members.
- This phone interview will take place during the week of March 13, 2023.
- Applicants who are selected to move forward in the interview process will receive an invitiation to schedule an interview with the hiring panel.
- The panel interview will take place during the week of April 3, 2023, and will be held in-person or virtually.
- Candidates will receive an update on their application status by Friday, April 14, 2023.
- Selected candidates will have a tentative start date of Tuesday, May 30, 2023.
- New GTEs should expect to travel to Nashville, TN for 2-3 weeks in June 2023.