Tennessee's Gas Tax
Tracking Tennessee's 27.4 cent Gasoline Tax-Fiscal Year 2022
Tennessee's gasoline tax:
- 27.4 cents per gallon (26-cent gasoline tax + 1.4-cent special petroleum fee)
- The estimated gas tax revenue and special petroleum collection for FY 2022 is $896,090,000.
- Each penny is worth about $32.7 million per year.
How the tax is divided (2021-2022 budget):
- 10.2 cents, or $332.2 million, goes to cities and counties.
- 0.8 cents, or $25.8 million, goes to the State General Fund.
- 16.4 cents, or $538.1 million, goes to TDOT.
(all above figures are approximate due to rounding)
The $538.1 million is included in TDOT's total state revenue of $1,,299,215,600 and is used in three basic ways to accomplish TDOT's mission:
- Resurfacing, bridges, major reconstruction, new construction, consultant contracts, right-of-way purchases, and to match federal funds
- Highway maintenance contracts
- Basic operating costs
The amount TDOT has for use each year is smaller due to TDOT's operational and maintenance cost increases each year.