Tennessee's Gas Tax
Tracking Tennessee's 27.4 cent Gasoline Tax-Fiscal Year 2023
Tennessee's gasoline tax:
- 27.4 cents per gallon (26-cent gasoline tax + 1.4-cent special petroleum fee)
- The estimated gas tax revenue and special petroleum collection for FY 2023 is $939,080,000.
- Each penny is worth about $34.27 million per year.
How the tax is divided (2022-2023 budget):
- 10.2 cents, or $347.95 million, goes to cities and counties.
- 0.8 cents, or $26.7 million, goes to the State General Fund.
- 16.4 cents, or $564.5 million, goes to TDOT.
(all above figures are approximate due to rounding)
The $564.5 million is included in TDOT's total state revenue of $1,811,736,000 and is used in three basic ways to accomplish TDOT's mission:
- Resurfacing, bridges, major reconstruction, new construction, consultant contracts, right-of-way purchases, and to match federal funds
- Highway maintenance contracts
- Basic operating costs
The amount TDOT has for use each year is smaller due to TDOT's operational and maintenance cost increases each year.