What is Intrastate Authority?
Intrastate Authority allows for-hire motor carriers and private towing and wrecker services to use any of the public highways of Tennessee for the transportation of persons or property, or both, in intrastate commerce.
How to Renew and Apply
- You can apply for a new account or renew an existing account online using the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP). Use this checklist to gather the information you will need to create a TNTAP logon and password.
- Step-by-step instructions for creating a TNTAP Logon and gaining access to your accounts.
- Complete the Application for Intrastate Authority Application and check the renewal box.
- Provide a completed Intrastate Authority Application
- Provide a completed Designated Agent for Service of Process form. A process agent is a Tennessee representative upon who court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier.
- Provide proof of insurance. Insurance companies must furnish these forms:
- Form E - Uniform Motor Carrier Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Certificate of Insurance
- Form H - Uniform Motor Carrier Cargo Certificate of Insurance (required for carriers hauling the following: general freight, household goods, mobile homes)