International Registration Plan
What is IRP?
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is an agreement among US states, the District of Columbia and Canadian provinces for commercial motor carrier registration fee payment. To operate in multiple states or provinces, motor carriers must register in their home state or province.
Registration, Renewals and More Now Online
IRP registration and renewals, as well as all other transactions can be completed using the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP). You can create a TNTAP logon and gain access to your account by following this guide. If you do things online, you will not need to turn in forms by mail or in our office.
If someone other than a representative of the company is completing the application, submit a Motor Carrier Power of Attorney.
Click on each topic below to read more information.
- Create on logon and gain access to your account in Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) by following the instructions in this guide.
If you cannot complete work in TNTAP, please use the forms below.
- For all new accounts and renewals, include a current, stamped copy of the Schedule 1 (Form 2290) Heavy Vehicle Use Tax federal form, if the vehicle has a gross combined weight of 55,000 pounds or more, and it was purchased more than 60 days before the application date. This would also include a transaction where you are upgrading the gross combined weight from 54,999 pounds or less to 55,000 pounds or more.
- To open a new IRP fleet, submit a completed Schedule A along with the required documents listed on the Applicant's New Account Checklist.
- To renew an IRP fleet's registration, submit a completed Schedule B. If there are any changes, please attach a Schedule A Amendment. See the Applicant's Schedule B (Renewal) Checklist for any additional documents that may also be needed.
- You can use the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) to add multiple vehicles to your existing IRP account.
If you cannot complete work in TNTAP, please use the forms below:
- For all transactions that involve adding a vehicle to your fleet (including transfers), include a current, stamped copy of the Schedule 1 (Form 2290) Heavy Vehicle Use Tax federal form, if the vehicle has a gross combined weight of 55,000 pounds or more, and it was purchased more than 60 days before the application date. This would also include a transaction where you are upgrading the gross combined weight from 54,999 pounds or less to 55,000 pounds or more.
- To add a unit to your IRP fleet, submit a Schedule A Amendment along with proof of title. If you are applying for a title through the IRP office, you must submit a Multi-Purpose Title Application and Sales Tax Exemption Application along with the bill of sale and original title or certificate of origin.
- If the registrant of the vehicle is different from the owner of the vehicle shown on the title, submit a completed Leased Vehicle - Owner's Authorization to Lessee.
- To transfer registration from one vehicle in your fleet to a new vehicle, submit the documentation required above for adding a vehicle, along with the cab card for the vehicle from which you are transferring the registration.
- To change information about a unit in your fleet – for example, the owner equipment number, USDOT number responsible for safety, or gross combined weight - submit a Schedule A Amendment.
An IRP 72-Hour trip permit is required prior to entering a jurisdiction for any vehicle having a registration, but not registered or apportioned for a particular jurisdiction. This permit allows both inter or intra movement in Tennessee.
Trip Permit Wire Service Companies
The fee for a Tennessee trip permit is $30 per permit plus wire service fees and are available through the following contractors:
- Allied Permits - (816) 343-8857
- Axle Permits – (855) 771-2953
- Coast2Coast Trucking Permits - (888) 963-0830
- Comdata Inc. – (800) 749-7166
- Custom Permits – (800) 669-5014
- Highway Permits Company – (888) 731-0312
- Interstate Permit Service – (800) 343-4889
- JJ Keller & Associates – (800) 231-5266
- Jet Permit Ltd. – (800) 788-0603
- Motor Carrier Express – (512) 491-7362
- Nova Permits – (800) 567-7775
- On The Move Permits, Inc. – (800) 750-9910
- Permit America – (502) 695-5858
- State Permits – (800) 331-4805
- The Permit Company – (800) 874-5512
- Trans Mid-America – (800) 228-7577