Skip to Main Content


Request a Refund

If you believe you have overpaid one of the following taxes, you may submit a claim for refund with the Department of Revenue.  

Logon to the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP), and select Claim for Refund for the following taxes:  

Sales and use tax Liquor-by-the-drink tax
Business tax Tobacco taxes
Franchise & excise taxes Alcoholic beverages taxes
Hall income tax Beer taxes
Professional privilege Gross receipts (bottlers, utilities, vending, mixing bar)
Consumer use tax Severance taxes

You can also request auto/boat refunds through the Tennessee Taxpayer Access Point (TNTAP) non-logon services.  

For all other taxes, you should complete a Claim for Refund form.  

All refund claims must be submitted to the Department within three years of December 31 of the year in which the tax was paid.  If the claim is for more than $200, you must also complete a Report of Debts form and submit it with your claim for refund. 

The claim should include the following:

  • all reasons why you believe the refund is due,
  • the amount requested,
  • the tax period,
  • the date the tax was paid,
  • the tax type, and
  • any other supporting information that will assist the Department in determining whether the refund should be granted. 

If you are requesting a sales and use tax refund, you must first refund or credit the tax back to your customer, and include documentation of this with your claim.

More information about refunds can be found here.