Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) 

FTA is financial assistance provided for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals.

  • Be currently serving in the ARNG
  • Not be Flagged
  • Evaluated Degree plan is required after 2 classes are completed in ArmyIgnitED

·  Have an ETS or MRD 14 days prior to the completion of FTA funded courses

·  Officers and Commissioned Warrant Officers are subject to a four year Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) or a two year Active Duty  Service Obligation (ADSO).

·  The college must be regionally or nationally accredited AND is a participant in ArmyIgnitED.

·  The funded course(s) meets a requirement listed in your personalized degree plan provided by the school (this can include prerequisite courses).

·  You maintain an undergraduate GPA of 2.0 or a graduate GPA of 3.0 for FTA-funded courses.

·  You must submit your FTA request at least 7 business days prior to the course start date.

  • FTA will pay up to $250 per semester hour and up to 16 semester hours per fiscal year (restarts 1 OCT each year).
  • Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours and 39 graduate semester hours.
  • Up to 21 additional semester hours for a certificate.
  • FTA will pay toward one credential at each of the following levels:
    • Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, Undergraduate/Graduate Certificate
    • First Professional degrees are NOT eligible (i.e. doctorate degrees, Juris doctorates)
  • Can be combined with State Tuition Assistance (TN STRONG Act). STRONG Act can cover fees and be used as a top up to tuition rates exceeding the $250 per semester cap. 
  • Effective 4 May 2021, FTA is authorized to be used simultaneously with CH 1606 MGIB-SR for the SAME course.
  • Courses leading to a credential that are lower or lateral to the highest credential you have already earned.
    • Example: if you have a bachelor’s degree (even if you came in the ARNG with one), you cannot use FTA to pursue a second bachelor’s or an associate’s degree.
    • Any program that bundles tuition and fees together into a lump sum charge.
    • Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or courses that do not meet a degree requirement.

FTA requests are made through ArmyIgnitED.

Soldiers with questions can contact their assigned State Education Service Specialist.

Create a user account at ArmyIgnitED:

Visit ArmyIgnitED to establish a Federal Tuition Assistance account by clicking on the "New User" button and entering all required data. 

If you’re eligible, start the application process by creating an ArmyIgnitED Student User account and filling out all the required data. Once you have set up an FTA account, you can begin requesting tuition assistance. Here’s a look at that process: 

  1. Enrollment requests must be submitted through ArmyIgnitED 7 days prior to the course start date. Any enrollments requested on or after 7 days prior to the class start date will be approved as Soldier-funded.
  2. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
  3. ArmyIgnitED will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, ArmyIgnitED will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.
  4. All drops/withdrawals must take place through ArmyIgnitED. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons.

FTA can be a huge help in driving down the cost of your education, but also be sure to ask your state education office for other benefits and programs they provide National Guard Soldiers—some include full in-state tuition.

Apply online: https://www.armyignited.army.mil

For More Information, contact your State Education Office:

Email: ng.tn.tnarng.list.ngtn-j1-education@army.mil