Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
School Schedule Changes Due to the Coronavirus:
As you may know, several colleges are cancelling or postponing classes due to the coronavirus.
If your class is cancelled, ACCESS Army University will waive any withdrawal TA debt you may incur and/or assist you with rescheduling a postponed TA-funded class in GoArmyEd through the steps listed below.
If your college cancels your class(es):
1. Drop your class(es) in GoArmyEd, using the “military withdrawal” type.
2. Submit a Helpdesk case requesting an approval of your military withdrawal request due to class cancellation.
3. Attach verification from your school that your class was cancelled. Your military withdrawal request cannot be approved without this verification.
4. You are not required to submit a completed/signed DA 7793 if you are requesting a military withdrawal due to coronavirus-related class cancellation.
If your college changes the start and end dates of your class(es):
1. Submit a Helpdesk case requesting new start and end dates for your class(es). This can only be done for a class that is currently TA-funded.
2. Attach verification from your school of the new start and end dates. Your class dates will not be updated without this verification.
If you are unable to complete a TA-funded class during the coronavirus outbreak for a reason other than those listed above, please submit a GoArmyEd helpdesk case for assistance.
ACCESS, Army University
Fort Knox, KY
What is it?
FTA is financial assistance provided for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier’s professional and personal self-development goals.
How do I qualify?
FTA is broken down into 2 tiers.
- Be currently serving in the ARNG and completed either Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Warrant Officer Basic Course (WOBC), or Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC
- Have not attained a bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue an undergraduate academic certificate, associate’s, or bachelor’s degree, or
- Have attained a bachelor’s degree and wish to pursue a graduate academic certificate, or
- Have attained a bachelor’s degree without the use of FTA and wish to pursue a master’s degree.
- Be currently serving in the ARNG and completed either Advanced Leader’s Course (ALC), Warrant Officer Advanced Course (WOAC), Captain’s Career Course (CCC), or equivalent.
- Have attained a bachelor’s degree with the use of FTA and wish to pursue a master’s degree.
- Have an ETS or MRD after completion of FTA funded courses.
- Officers and Commissioned Warrant Officers are subject to a four year Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) or a two year Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO).
- The college be regionally or nationally accredited AND is a participant in GoArmyEd (GAE).
- The funded course(s) meets a requirement listed in your personalized degree plan provided by the school (this can include prerequisite courses).
- You maintain an undergraduate GPA of 2.0 or a graduate GPA of 3.0 for FTA-funded courses.
- You must submit your FTA request at least 5 business days prior to the course start date.
What do I get?
- FTA will pay up to $250 per semester hour and up to 16 semester hours per fiscal year (restarts 1 OCT each year).
- Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours and 39 graduate semester hours.
- Up to 21 additional semester hours for a certificate.
- FTA will pay toward one credential at each of the following levels:
- Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, Undergraduate/Graduate Certificate
- First Professional degrees are NOT eligible (i.e. doctorate degrees, Juris doctorates)
- Can be combined with State Tuition Assistance (TN STRONG Act). STRONG Act can cover fees and be used as a top up to tuition rates exceeding the $250 per semester cap.
Programs NOT approved for FTA:
- Courses leading to a credential that are lower or lateral to the highest credential you have already earned.
- Example: if you have a bachelor’s degree (even if you came in the ARNG with one), you cannot use FTA to pursue a second bachelor’s or an associate’s degree.
- Any program that bundles tuition and fees together into a lump sum charge.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or courses that do not meet a degree requirement.
- FTA is NOT authorized simultaneously with CH 1606 MGIB-SR for the SAME course.
How do I apply?
- Create a user account in GoArmyEd.com:
- Go to www.goarmyed.com and establish a GAE Federal Tuition Assistance account by clicking on the “New User” button and entering all required data.
Tips to remember when applying:
- Apply for FTA up to 60 days PRIOR to the class start date, but NO LATER than 5 business days prior to the class start date (all FTA MUST be approved prior to the class start date).
- You must submit an FTA request for each individual course that you want FTA to fund.
- If your school charges by quarter hours or clock hour, GAE will automatically convert them to semester hours on the FTA request.
- If your school’s courses are not listed in GAE (i.e. you have to physically enter your courses into each FT Request), you must upload the following documentation into your GAE “Education Record” eFile:
- Cost Verification Statement: individualized document such as a billing statement/invoice specific that breaks out the cost of tuition and fees separately.
- Class Schedule: individualized document that shows all courses to include class name, start date, end date, course number, and number of credit hours.
- All of these documents MUST have your name and the name of the school on them or a screenshot from your online student account, and cannot be in editable format.
- After you complete six semester hours of FTA-funded coursework, you must provide an individualized degree plan/student agreement to GAE.
- This document should list the courses required for completion of your degree, as well as the existing credits already applied toward your degree.
- New FTA users and anyone who changes their degree plan are required to complete VIA (VIA is a planning tool in GAE designed to help Soldiers identify their `best fit’ school).
Apply online: www.goarmyed.com
Contact your education team with any questions: