Colonel Joe H. Miller, II (Jody) is the Commander, 30th Troop Command, one of the four Major Command in the TNARNG. Colonel Miller was born at Fort Benning, Georgia. He attended The Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tennessee and received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, also in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He received a Master’s Degree in Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College. Colonel Miller received his commission, Aviation Branch, in the United States Army, December 18 1992, serving as an officer on Active Duty until July 2000, whereupon he joined the Tennessee Army National Guard.
During OIF 10, as a Major, Colonel Miller was the Commander, Regimental Troops Squadron (RTS)/278th ACR deployed to Iraq and responsible for synchronizing security force operations in support of 13th Expeditionary Command and the 1st Armor Division and their subordinate elements. Provided single headquarters to operate as the Contingency Operating Base (COB) Taji Base Defense Operations Center (BDOC). The BDOC planned, coordinated, synchronized, monitored and controlled convoy security and force protection elements within COB Taji consisting of over 750 soldiers (organic and OPCON), as well as maintained ADCON over the organic RTS HHT, performing the Military Police (MP) ILO mission in Baghdad, consisting of 152 soldiers. Planned, coordinated and executed security force missions in support of the Strategic Reposture of Equipment and Personnel (SREP) in support of the forces in Northern Iraq. Trained and developed adaptive and multi-skilled leaders and soldiers to meet future Army needs.
Colonel Miller served in various assignments throughout his career, to include:
- Platoon Leader, Alpha Company and Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion, 82nd Aviation Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, NC
- Battalion Flight Operations Officer, 82nd Aviation Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, NC
- Air Assault Platoon Trainer, 1st Battalion, 145th Aviation Regiment, Fort Rucker, AL
- Commander, Foxtrot Company, 1st Battalion, 212th Aviation Regiment, Fort Rucker, AL
- Operations Officer and Commander, Army Aviation Support Facility #1, Smyrna, TN.
- Commander, N Troop, 4th Squadron, 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Smyrna, TN
- Commander, Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 4th Squadron, 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Smyrna, TN
- Operations Officer, JFHQ, Aviation Detachment, Nashville, TN
- Acting Deputy Chief of Staff, Aviation, for the State of Tennessee, Nashville, TN
- Assistant S-3 and Brigade Training Officer for 30th Troop Command, Tullahoma, TN
- Executive Officer and Commander/Administrative Officer, Regimental Troops Squadron, 278th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Lebanon, TN
- Supply & Services Supervisory Systems Analyst, TN United States Property & Fiscal Officer (USPFO), Nashville, TN
- Supply & Services Division Chief, TN USPFO, Nashville, TN
- Deputy Chief of Staff, Aviation, for the State of Tennessee, Tennessee Army National Guard (TNARNG).
Colonel Miller is a graduate of the Army Aviation Officer Basic Course, the Army Aviation Officer Advance Course, the UH-60 Blackhawk Instructor Pilot Course, the Rotary Wing Instrument Flight Examiner Course, the Combined Arms Services Staff School, Command & General Staff College and The U.S. Army War College.
Colonel Miller has received numerous awards and decorations to include the Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal-3rd Award, the Army Commendation Medal- 3rd Award, the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, the Iraq Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Medal, the Armed Forces Reserve Medal-Mobilized Device, the Humanitarian Service Medal, the Army Achievement Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Tennessee Army National Guard Commendation Ribbon – 2nd award, the Tennessee Army National Guard Volunteer Ribbon, the Adjutant General’s Staff Badge, and the Army Service Ribbon. He has been awarded the Master Aviator Badge for exceeding 2500 flight hours, the Parachutist Badge for completing U.S. Army Airborne School (currently has amassed 25 jumps as an Army Parachutist) and the Air Assault Badge for completing Air Assault School as the Distinguished Honor Graduate.
Colonel Miller is married to the former April Lynn Parham of Chattanooga, Tennessee. They reside in Rockvale, Tennessee with their two children: Colton Riley Miller and Collin Lanier Miller. His hobbies include golf, elk hunting and music. The Millers have been members of 3rd Baptist Church for 12 years. Jody has served as a Deacon and is involved in the Choir ministry, the Lifegroup Ministry, the Men’s Book Study and has served on the personnel committee. April has been involved in the Children’s Ministry and is active in 3BC’s The Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child project.