Committee for Clinical Perfusionist

Continuing Education

Failure to comply with continuing education requirements may result in disciplinary action against the licensee or registrant. The disciplinary action will be reported on the Department of Health license verification web site.

All licensees are required to renew their license every two years. The renewal cycle is set up whereby everyone renews in their birth month. The year they renew depends on whether they were born in an even or odd year. Thus the renewal of their professional license is set up in their birth month every two years.

When renewing, the document that is signed states the licensee has fulfilled all the requirements for renewal. That means no continuing education documentation is to be mailed in with the renewal and that the licensee attests to having obtained the required continuing education. The only time continuing education is to be mailed in is when an official audit is conducted and the licensee is mailed a certified letter from this office requiring submission of the documentation.

A licensee is required to complete 15 hours of continuing education every calendar year. Three of the 15 hours each year must be ABCP Category 1 courses. The other 12 hours must be approved by the ABCP, the AMA or the TMA or any other AMA recognized medical specialty certification organization. If the continuing education is not approved or sponsored by the ABCP, the content and structure must be as strict as the standards utilized by the ABCP in approving or sponsoring continuing education. Please keep in mind this information is for renewal of the Tennessee Perfusionist License not for certification.

All documentation must be retained by the licensee for at least four years from the end of the renewal period in which the continuing education was acquired

The Committee or Board may waive or otherwise modify the requirements in cases where there is retirement, or an illness, disability or other undue hardship that prevents a licensee from obtaining the requisite number of continuing education hours. Requests for waivers or modification must be sent in writing to the Administrative Office prior to the expiration of the renewal period in which the continuing education is due.