Execution Advisory: Media Guidelines
· Media wishing to be in the Riverbend Maximum Security Institution (RMSI) parking lot to report on the August 15, 2019 execution of Stephen West #115717 must RSVP by 12:00 pm CST on Tuesday, August 6, 2019 to Faith.Seifuddin@tn.gov.
· News media will be allowed at the following sites for the execution:
o The RMSI parking lot area which is set aside for news media.
o The area set aside for the general public, which is located north of the RMSI parking lot and is accessible via Cockrill Bend Boulevard. This area is roughly ¼ mile past the prison on Cockrill Bend Boulevard. (Note: Members of the media assigned to the general public area are asked to check in with a TDOC Communications staff member prior to entering these areas.)
· The roadways on or adjacent to state property will be kept clear of people and vehicles. There will be no taping or broadcasts from other TDOC sites in the Cockrill Bend area.
· Media check-in will begin at 1 pm CST on August 15, 2019. No media will be allowed to enter the RMSI parking lot after 5 pm CST on August 15, 2019. Please note: space is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis until the parking lot is unable to accommodate additional vehicles. RSVPing does not guarantee admittance, however, no one will gain admittance without RSVPing.
· All media must present appropriate credentials and a photo ID to be admitted to the designated media area at RMSI.
· Media representatives will be restricted to the designated media area while in the RMSI parking lot. Individuals are not to cross any open areas beyond the parking lot. Media representatives must enter and leave the RMSI parking lot by motor vehicle via the asphalt access road.
· All members of the media are to wear special media identification badges which will be issued at check-in on site. The badges are to be prominently displayed at all times. The badge must be returned to the Communications Officer at the RMSI entrance point when the individual leaves the RMSI parking lot.
· Members of the media may leave and return to the RMSI parking lot between 1 pm and 5 pm as needed; however, we ask that such trips are kept to an absolute minimum. Note: due to space limitations, TDOC does not guarantee re-entry.
· All media must leave the premises no later than one hour after the conclusion of the press conference following the execution. No reporting or broadcasts from the prison property or media access to RMSI will be allowed for 72 hours thereafter.
· Media may not interview any staff of the department involved in the execution plan prior to or after the execution.
· Only the TDOC Director of Communications and/or designee can answer questions about the execution. No media calls to the prison will be answered.
· Media are not to interview any witnesses on the premises after the press conference is concluded.
· Violations of these guidelines may result in the revocation of privileges.
· Finally, please note that smoking is not allowed on any TDOC prison property. Violating this rule will result in you being asked to leave the premises.
Note: These guidelines are subject to modification in response to changing circumstances.