Skip to Main Content

Consumer Resources 

Since 2004, the Consumer Resources Section has served as the clearinghouse for consumer complaints filed against our regulated financial institutions. During this time, we have served over 5500 consumers from Tennessee and across the country on issues ranging from checking accounts, mortgage loan refinances and title pledge transactions.

In order to begin the consumer complaint process with the Department, we must have a formal complaint submitted in writing. The easiest way to file your complaint is by using our complaint form at:  During the entry of your online form, you will have the opportunity to add pertinent documentation to the complaint form, in order to support the issues occurring in your encounter with the financial institution.

As a footnote, we cannot do the following on behalf of a complainant:

1. Act as an attorney or a court of law

2. Provide legal advice

3. Become involved in complaints that are in active litigation, or those which have been adjudicated through the court process

What if the financial institution I have a consumer complaint against is not regulated by the Department of Financial Institutions?

Not every financial institution operating in Tennessee is regulated by the Department of Financial Institutions. There are a number of federally-chartered institutions, along with those regulated by other states, which have operations within our state. In these situations, you are welcome to submit a formal consumer complaint to our department, which would be forwarded to the appropriate regulatory authority.


For those institutions chartered as national banks, or federal savings banks, the primary federal regulator who can assist you in these complaint matters is the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, or OCC.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3710
Houston, TX 77010
(P) 800-613-6743
Online consumer complaint form link:


In the situation where you may be uncertain on whether a banking institution is federally-chartered or state-chartered, you can utilize the FDIC Institution Directory for assistance in determining how the bank is chartered and who the appropriate regulator may be. The chartering state regulator is typically determined by the headquarters location of the institution, which will be shown in the information from the Institution Directory. Additionally, the Institution Class helps provide information about the bank. State-chartered banking institutions are co-regulated with the FDIC.

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
Consumer Response Center
1100 Walnut Street, Box #11
Kansas City, MO 64106
P) 877-275-3342
Institution Directory:


There are also a number of banking institutions which have locations in Tennessee; however, they may be regulated by another state’s regulatory authority. In these instances, you can visit the Conference of State Banking Supervisors, or CSBS, website for their Directory of State Banking Departments and use the interactive map to locate the contact information for the respective state regulator, by clicking on the map for the particular state.

Conference of State Banking Supervisors
1129 20th Street, NW, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C. 20036
(P) 202.296.2840
Directory Link:


Federally-chartered credit unions are regulated at the national level by the National Credit Union Administration, or NCUA. They can be contacted at the following:

National Credit Union Administration
Consumer Assistance
1775 Duke Street
Alexandria,VA 22314-3428
(P) 800-755-1030


If your complaint involves possible Identity Theft issues, or you’ve become involved with what is viewed as a scam operation, you can report both of these type of instances to the Federal Trade Commission, or FTC. In these situations, you would also want to report these to your local law enforcement officials. The contact information for the FTC is as follows:

Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 2002
(P) 202-326-2222

Farm Credit Administration

If you have a mortgage loan on property that was originated, or is being serviced, by Farm Credit Services, any complaints would need to be directed to the Farm Credit Administration for assistance. The following is the contact information for the Farm Credit Administration:

Farm Credit Administration
1501 Farm Credit Drive
McLean, VA 22102-5090
(P) 703-883-4056

Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac

In those situation where you learn that your mortgage loan was insured by, or the investor/owner of your loan is the Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA), more commonly known as Fannie Mae or the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC), more commonly known as Freddie Mac, complaints against either of these agencies would need to be directed to their regulator, the Federal Housing Finance Agency, or FHFA. They can be contacted at the following:

Federal Housing Finance Agency
Ombudsman-Constitution Center
400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20024
(P) 888-370-0869