Spouse Education Support 

Several programs are available to military spouses to assist with furthering their education.

·         If your service member has qualifying active duty, at least six years of service, and at least four years of service remaining, they may qualify to transfer some or all of their education benefits to their eligible dependents.

·         The transfer is conducted by the Service Member executing the TEB request through milConnect.

·         Learn more about the Post 9/11 GI Bill. (link to GI Bill TEB tab)

·         Spouses of Army National Guard Soldiers who were reassigned from a duty station in one state to another on or after 12 December 2017, if movement of the Soldier’s dependents is authorized, qualify for up to $500 reimbursement in qualified relicensing costs with each reassignment

·         This program only applies to Title 32 AGR or Title 10 AGR/AD (IDT not authorized)

·         For more information go to Military One Source

A number of organizations offer financial aid for military spouses in the form of scholarships. Keep in mind, many organizations offer these scholarships only during certain times of the year, so pay close attention to the deadlines!

·         The Fisher House Foundation builds comfort homes where military and veterans' families can stay free of charge while a loved one is in the hospital. The Fisher House Foundation administers the Scholarships for Military Children program, where 500 scholarship grants, each for $2,000, will be awarded for school year 2020-21.

·         The National Military Family Association (NMFA) is one of the nation’s leading nonprofit organizations geared toward military family advocacy resources available to help fund career and educational pursuits for spouses of service members in the seven Uniformed Services.

·         ThanksUSA is another organization that offers military spouse scholarships annually to provide need-based college, technical and vocational school funding and pathways to meaningful employment for children and spouses of military members.

·         U.S. Veterans Magazine lists of over 100 scholarships available to veterans, spouses and family members.

·         Also, ask your school if they give discounts or scholarships to military dependents

·         Tennessee has a few options available:        

o   Tennessee HOPE Scholarship - Nontraditional is  for nontraditional age students and is established and funded from the net proceeds of the state lottery and awarded to entering freshmen or students who have not been enrolled in any college for at least two (2) years from the date of last enrollment in college.  Students must be age twenty-five (25) or older at the time of enrollment, complete the FAFSA application, be a TN resident and meet the minimum family adjusted gross income requirement.

o   TN Reconnect Grant available to students who have not previously earned an associate or baccalaureate degree, are independent according to the FAFSA rules, and are enrolled part-time in an eligible program of study.

o   TCAT Reconnect Scholarship is available to students with a FAFSA status of independent.  Students must enroll in a full-time program at a TN College of Applied Technology in order to be eligible.

o   Tennessee Student Assistance Award Program (TSAA) was established to provide non-repayable financial assistance to financially-needy undergraduate students who are residents of Tennessee. 

The My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship program helps military spouses pursue licenses, credentials, or associate degrees with a specific concentration or major to pursue an occupation or career with transferable and portable skills

·         Assistance is limited to $2k per year up to a program max of $4k

·         Soldiers must be on Title 10 active duty/AGR in the grades of E1 through E-5, W1 through W-2, or O-1 through O-2

·         Submit application

A new program recently approved by the Secretary of the Army that authorizes reimbursement for state licensure and certification costs for a spouse of a Soldier due to a PCS to another state (will be retroactive to 12 December 2017)

·         Pays exam, license/certification and registration fees

·         Must have held license/certification at a previous duty station

Dependent children and spouses of military members are eligible to use Tutor.com

·         Program provides free online tutoring for all different grade levels and subjects, including college and professional subjects

·         Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week

For More Information, contact your State Education Office:

Email: ng.tn.tnarng.list.ngtn-j1-education@army.mil