Credentialing Assistance (CA)
What is it?
The Army’s Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program provides Soldiers with funding for more than 1,600 credentials listed on Army COOL: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army.
How do I qualify?
- Complete AIT, WOBC or BOLC.
- Not be flagged.
- Military Service
- Obligation (MSO):
- Enlisted: Complete credential prior to sep/ETS
- Officers/Warrant Officers: Incur a 2 Yr-ADSO or 4 Yr-RDSO after last day of course
- Officers/Warrant Officers do not incur a service obligation for Testing or Recertification (capped at $2,000 on their last year of service)
What do I get?
- CA provides up to $4,000/per FY to complete as many credentials as desired.
- Soldiers may use both Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and Credentialing Assistance (CA); however, the combined usage shall not exceed $4,000 per FY.
- CA can be used for any credential listed on Army COOL: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army.
- CA will pay expenses for classroom, hands-on, online/blended training and associated materials to include: manuals, study guides, textbooks, processing fees, test fees, related fees for continuing education requirements, and recertification of credentials.
- Soldiers may request reimbursement from VA using their GI Bill benefits to pay for exams only.
- Important! Soldiers may only request reimbursement from VA if CA is not used to pay for the exam. The combined use of CA and VA benefits to pay for an exam is a duplication of benefits and is subject to recoupment.
What are the most popular certifications?
- Associate Professional in HR (aPHR)
- Certified Logistics Technician (CLT)
- Certified Personal Trainer (CPT)
- Certified Welder (CW) Commercial
- Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- Lean Six Sigma
- Project Mgmt Professional (PMP)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine
- CompTIA A+ CompTIA Security +ce
How do I apply?
- Contact your State ESO/ESS to discuss the CA application process and verify eligibility.
- Ensure your credential is listed on Army COOL at: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army/.
- Credentialing Assistance (CA) requests must be submitted directly through ArmyIgnitED at: www.armyignited.com.
- Soldiers must submit CA Requests 30 business days from the start date of the course or exam.
- If Soldier does not see the vendor of choice (for training, exam, books, materials, etc.) select “Don’t See a Related Vendor?”. An email will appear requesting specific information which the Soldiers must provide to ACCESS, ArmyU who in turn will contact the vendor to update ArmyIgnitED with the information.
- ACCESS, ArmyU notifies Soldier if approved/disapproved (it may take up to a few days prior to the start date of the course to receive approval email).
- Soldier uploads certificate of completion no later than 10 business days after training end date.
Where can I go for testing?
- Testing locations vary based on the exam. Check with your credentialing agency to find out where they offer testing.
- There are two major companies that offer certification and licensure exams. You can find local test centers on their websites:
Go to Army Cool: https://www.cool.osd.mil/army
Apply online: www.armyignited.com
Contact your education team with any questions: