Army Personnel Testing (APT) / DANTES
How do I qualify for Army Personnel Testing (APT)?
- Be an active drilling member of the Army National Guard (ARNG)
- Not have taken the requested test within the last 6 months.
What tests can I take?
APT offers career-enhancing exam options, such as:
- Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT)
- Raise GT/Line scores to re-class MOS or qualify for Officer Candidate School
- Selection Instrument Flight Training (SIFT)
- Qualify for Aviation School
- Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT)
- Defense Language Reading Proficiency Test (DLRPT)
- Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB)
- Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
- DLPT/DLRPT/DLAB/OPI: Qualify for Foreign Language Billets and Proficiency bonuses
How do I apply?
- DA Form 4187 (Request for Personnel Action), signed by the Unit Commander, must be submitted to the Test Control Officer (TCO) to schedule an APT exam.
Reasons/Requirements for an Exception to Policy (ETP)
- An exception to policy approval is required when there is a need to retest.
- Each request must provide military justification to include extenuating circumstances stating why the Soldier cannot wait the required six months.
- The request must include proof of training to justify that the retest will result in significantly improved scores
- i.e. completion of the Online Academic Skills Couse (OASC). OASC can be completed on any internet enabled device at http://www.nelnetsolutions.com/DantesNet/
- Do not schedule a test without an approved ETP
- A new DA Form 4187 shall be submitted to the TCO. The DA Form 4187 must include a copy of the ETP as an attachment.
- All APT ETPs must be submitted through the State’s ARNG TCO to the National Guard Bureau. Click here for Specific APT ETP requirements. (link to APT ETP sheet)
- AFCT test prep:
- SIFT test prep:
- DLPT/OPI test prep:
What is DANTES?
DANTES provides numerous programs and services to assist service members seeking to further their voluntary education goals and objectives.
How do I qualify?
Be an active drilling member of the Army National Guard (ARNG).
What do I get?
- Free Academic and College Credit Equivalency Exams:
- General Education Development (GED)
- Entry level exams to colleges (ACT, SAT)
- Entry level exams to Graduate Schools (GMAT, GRE)
- Teacher Certification Exams (Praxis)
- College credit equivalency exams (CLEP, DSST)
- Tests are administered at National Testing Centers (NTCs)
- ACT and SAT tests are administered free to military personnel at Active Duty Education Centers and some State Education Offices
- Locate a local NTC to schedule DSST testing at: http://getcollegecredit.com/institutions/search
- Locate a local NTC to schedule CLEP exams at: https://clep.collegeboard.org/test-center-search
Free Test and College Prep Materials:
- Online Academic Skills Course (OASC)
- Self-paced and customized based on pre-assessment, includes quizzes
- College Placement Skills Training (CPST)
- Helps Soldiers prepare for college and build academic skills
- Available to family members
Visit the DANTES Web Site at: www.dantes.doded.mil/index.html
Contact your education team with any questions: