Skip to Main Content

Find COVID-19 Information and Resources

Military Awards Reg Update - Army

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 | 08:18am

An updated version of Army Regulation 600-8-22, Military Awards, was published June 25 and went into effect July 25. 

The revised version features numerous changes, including clarification for Soldiers who are flagged for fitness test failures and their ability to receive awards, updated guidance regarding awarding the Purple Heart according to the Defense Authorization Act of 2015, and guidance on obtaining missing medals.

Soldiers who are flagged may be recommended for and presented an award based on valor and heroism, even posthumously when assigned to a unit engaged in combat against hostile forces and the Soldier died as a result of injuries sustained during combat. 

Flagged Soldiers are still ineligible to be recommended for other types of awards. Once the flag is lifted, the Soldier will become eligible at that time.

Awards to flagged Soldiers requires a waiver that will accompany the award recommendation. The Purple Heart does not require exception or waiver for presentation because this award is an entitlement and different from all other awards.

In addition, under the Defense Authorization Act of 2015, those Soldiers who were killed or wounded in attacks by foreign terrorist organizations because of their status as military members are now eligible for the Purple Heart. This is retroactive to September 11, 2001.

If you are missing a medal, Army or other branch of service, you can get it replaced, and possibly for free.

Medals are initially presented at no cost to the service member. Replacement medals are issued on a one-time basis and without charge to the recipient or immediate next of kin if the recipient is deceased. The next of kin can be any of the following: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.

Subsequent replacement medals will cost money. Next of kin cannot receive duplicate medals if the service member has already requested one.

Issue or replacement of World War I Victory Medals or earlier medals is no longer possible, but they can still be purchased from outside, private vendors.

Active duty, National Guard, and Reserve personnel should submit requests for medals to their unit commanders.


For medals on behalf of individuals having no current U.S. Army status or deceased prior to 1 October 2002 requests should be submitted to: National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138–1002. 
Requests for medals for individuals who retired, were discharged (or have a Reserve obligation), or died after 1 October 2002, and request for retired general officers should be submitted to: Commander, U.S. Army Human Resources Command (AHRC–PDP–A), 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122–5408.


Headquarters, U.S. Air Forces Personnel Center, ATTN: AFPC/DSPSIDR, 550 C Street, Randolph Air Force Base, TX 78150–4712.


Commandant, United States Marine Corps, Manpower and Reserve Affairs, Code: MMMA, 3280 Russell Road, Quantico, VA 22134–5103.


Chief of Naval Operations (DNS–35), Navy Pentagon, Washington, DC 20350–2000.


Commandant (G–PS–5/TP41), U.S. Coast Guard, Washington, DC 20593–7238.


More information about replacing medals can be obtained at the NPRC website:

Additional service records can be obtained here:


- Story by Master Sgt. Robin Brown  /  Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Anthony L. Taylor