Col. Brandon Evans is the Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Tennessee Air National Guard, Memphis, Tennessee. One of the Air National Guard’s six strategic airlift wings, the 164th is trained and equipped to provide rapid global mobility in C-17 aircraft supporting National Security Objectives. In peacetime, the 164th reports to the Governor of Tennessee providing emergency relief and support to civil defense authorities preserving peace, order and public safety. The Wing comprises approximately 1,000 personnel with over 300 military civil service and civilian employees.
Col. Evans is a 1998 United States Air Force Academy graduate. He was assigned to Andrews AFB, Maryland where he upgraded to evaluator pilot on the C-21A and served as the Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation for the 457th Airlift Squadron. While assigned to the 457th Airlift Squadron, Col. Evans deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia in support of Operation SOUTHERN WATCH. During his assignment at Dover AFB, Del., he upgraded to evaluator pilot on the C-5B and served as the Assistant Operations Officer for the 3rd Airlift Squadron. In 2007, he transferred from the active duty Air Force to the Tennessee Air National Guard with the 164th Airlift Wing. Col. Evans has flown numerous combat missions in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and FREEDOM SENTINEL.
In addition to his military career, he is a B767 Captain with a major commercial parcel service. Prior to his current position, Col. Evans served as the Vice Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis, Tennessee.
1999 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
- July 1998–May 1999, United States Air Force Academy Admissions Advisor, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- May 1999–May 2000, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
- July 2000–January 2004, C-21A Examiner Pilot, Asst Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, Andrews AFB, Md. (January 2001–April 2001, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia, in support of Operation SOUTHERN WATCH)
- February 2004–May 2007, C-5B Examiner Pilot, Group Executive Officer, Asst Operations Officer, 3rd Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Del.
- May 2007–April 2013, C-5A Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Asst Chief of Wing Tactics, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
- April 2013–March 2017, C-17A Aircraft Commander, Flight Commander, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
- March 2017–March 2018, Commander, 155th Airlift Squadron, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
- March 2018–January 2022, Commander, 164th Operations Group, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
- January 2022–June 2022, Vice Commander, 164th Airlift Wing, Memphis ANGB, Tenn.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4,500 military and 2,000 civilian
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, T-1A, C-21A, C-5A/B, C-17A, DC-8, B727, MD-11 and B767
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with “V” device and three oak leaf clusters Combat Readiness Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major May 28, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 8, 2013
Colonel June 12, 2018
(Current as of June 2022)