Classification/Compensation Frequently Asked Questions

How should a request be sent to DOHR?

Electronic submissions are preferred.  Please only include one request per email.

Do I need to fill out the entire request form?

The form needs to be completed in its entirety.  Your Classification/Compensation Consultants will follow up with you regarding any missing information.

Can I submit the form now and the rest of the required documents later?

Please submit all necessary documents at one time. In order for our consultants to analyze your submitted request, we must have all necessary documents.

Can requests be preapproved before a Department submits the necessary documents?

Classification/Compensation staff is always available to discuss upcoming requests and projects; however, we cannot approve any requests prior to its formal submission to the division.

How long is the typical review process?  Can requests be expedited?

The time necessary to properly evaluate a request varies.

The process is dependent on several factors:

  • Complexity of the requests;
  • Thoroughness of the supporting documentation;
  • Levels of review; and
  • Volume of workload at the time the request is made.

We are often asked to expedite requests, and we will always try to accommodate agencies’ needs.  There are steps you may take in order to help us expedite your request.  If you are aware of a particularly difficult or urgent request, please give us a call or email prior to sending it.  This way, we understand expectations and can anticipate any hurdles.

Please express your concerns to your consultant at the time the request is submitted.

Why do effective dates have to be a Sunday?

Edison defines the beginning of a work week as Sunday; therefore, it is our practice to make all Classification/Compensation actions effective on a Sunday.

With what requests do I need an approved funding plan from Finance and Administration?

Any actions that affect an agency’s (or a business unit within an agency) authorized position count require an approved funding plan.  These include: position establishments, position abolishments, and transfers across business units.

When do you check the “Update Incumbents” box on a PCR?

This box should be checked on all reports to changes, county changes, or department ID changes.  Please do not mark this box on reclassifications.

Why should I not check the “update incumbents” box on a PCR for a reclassification?

The update incumbent’s box is never checked when reclassifying a position because the employee must either qualify (preferred service) or be appointed (executive service).  When Classification/Compensation approves a reclassification they are only approving the reclassification of the position and not of the employee.

When do I use the “UPD” reason code on a PCR?

This code is used when the department ID change or county change is entered into Edison.

When requesting the reclassification of a filled preferred service position, where do I send a copy of the incumbent’s employment application?

Please send a copy of the incumbent’s employment application to the Agency Resource Center for their review.

Why does DOHR's Agency Resource Center need to review the application of the employee for a filled reclassification request?

The Agency Resource Center must confirm that the incumbent will qualify for the proposed new classification.

Can I still enter PCR’s and JCR’s in lockout?

Departments should not enter PCRs and JCRs during lockout.  Classification/Compensation consultants will be unable to approve any PCRs during lockout.

Does the employee have to sign the reclassification form?

Yes. For filled positions, the employee should not only sign the form, but should also complete the reclassification form.  This ensures the employee is aware of the changes being made to his/her position.

Who signs the form if the immediate supervisor is vacant?

 If the supervisor position is vacant, the next level of supervisor in line should sign the form.

What do I put in the current duties section if the position has been vacant for some time?

Describe the most recent responsibilities performed by the position.  If you are unsure of the exact nature of those duties, please indicate this and how long the position has been vacant.

Under what circumstances can a position be executive service?

Please review DOHR Policy 12-067 for information regarding placing positions in the executive service.

Can you change the status of a position if it is currently filled?

Only if the request is to change the position from executive service to preferred service. The incumbent must submit an application to the Agency Resource Center and qualify.  We do not approve changes of filled positions from preferred to executive service.

If an employee is retiring or leaving for any reason, when can you reclassify or change the status of that position?

Only when the position has become vacant.

How do I determine FLSA status for a classification?

The overtime status of a class is based upon the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

To review the overtime status for an already established class, please refer to the Classification/Compensation Plan.  To determine the overtime status for a new/proposed classification, please discuss this with your Classification/Compensation Consultant in the Classification/Compensation Division.

Should positions have Alt OT as their FLSA status in Edison?

Yes.  Due to Edison system requirements, all positions must be designated as Non-Exempt/Alt-OT.  This does not reflect the FLSA status of the classification.

What is the difference between a Non-Exempt and Exempt employee with regard to Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and overtime?

Employees whose duties are not covered under any of the FLSA’s tests for exemption from the Act must receive overtime compensation for all hours worked in excess of forty in a workweek, this is defined as non-exempt.  These Non-Exempt employees must receive overtime compensation at 1.5 times their rate.  The default compensation for this overtime is cash; in some cases, employees may receive compensatory time off in lieu of cash (as requested by the agency).

Employees who meet one or more of the prescribed FLSA tests for the exemption are not eligible for overtime compensation by federal law, this is defined as exempt.  Exempt employees are divided into two groups; those that are eligible for compensatory time and those that are not eligible.

Compensatory time is accrued on an hour-for-hour basis and may be disallowed by the agencies appointing authority.  Employees who are not eligible for overtime compensation are categorized as Executive and typically are at the Director level or above.

Can an Exempt employee, who typically receives Comp overtime, ever receive premium overtime?

Unless the primary duty is non-exempt for the duration of a particular project, exempt employees may not receive premium overtime.

Under what circumstances can a non-exempt or exempt (comp eligible) employee not receive overtime compensation?

If a non-exempt or exempt (comp) employee is receiving a Working Out of Class (WOC) or an assignment differential for functioning as a class that is exempt (none), then the employee is not eligible for overtime compensation.

What is the difference between a reclassification and a reallocation?

When the appointing authority makes a permanent change to the duties assigned to a position so significant that the current classification is no longer appropriate, the position must be reclassified.  If the position is filled, the employee must be certified as eligible on an employment list and meet all requirements for an original appointment.

If any change is made to the classification plan by which a class or position is divided, altered, or abolished, or combined, the positions will be reallocated.  Employees who have become preferred employees in the reallocated positions may continue in the position without further assessment or certification.  Those employees who are not preferred employees shall meet the minimum qualifications of the new classification and shall appear on a referral list.

When requesting a reclassification, is it appropriate to copy the duties directly from the class specification?

No.  With all reclassification requests, the Classification/Compensation Consultant looks for specific information related to an individual position.  A class specification provides a broad overview of the entire job class.

Do the current and proposed duties need to be different if the person has been performing the same duties to reclassify his/her position?

Not necessarily.   The current and proposed duties can be the same because the job has evolved. The request is to correct the title of the position.

When is it appropriate to overlap or mismatch a  person in order to reclassify a position?

It is appropriate to overlap or mismatch a person in the following circumstances:

  • When an employee is changing from preferred to executive service.
  • When an employee is on terminal leave and the position needs to be reclassified.

When old and new organizational charts are requested, should the charts reflect the section where the position is located BEFORE the reclass, or should it reflect the section where the position will be located?

Organizational charts should show the current structure where the position is located and the proposed structure of where the position will be located.

What is the difference between a re-title and a reclassification?

With a re-title, the class code remains the same.  With a reclassification, the class code will change.

What is the difference between a working out of class (WOC) and an assignment differential? How does this affect the parameters?

A working out of class situation is when an employee is asked to fill in for an employee on extended leave who is in a higher level classification.  Employees are eligible for an assignment differential if:

  • They are temporarily assigned duties that are more complex than their normal duties in addition to performing their current duties.
  • They are assigned to an irregular shift (shift differential).

May we still use the working out of class form if someone has been “WOC” since December 1, 2014?

In order to receive a working out of class increase, the date the additional duties were assigned must be before the effective date of the policy that was in place during the time the duties were assigned.  If the effective date is not prior to the November 21, 2013 Employees Assigned Duties of a Higher Classification (Policy 12-021) policy date, an agency must make an interim appointment.

How should you handle a professional certification increase if an annual performance review has not been conducted for a recently hired employee?

If a performance review has not been conducted for a recently hired employee, the agency should send Class/Comp a copy of a signed memo from the employee’s supervisor to the HRO of the agency indicating the employee’s performance is at a “valued performance”.

Is it possible for an employee’s salary to be higher than the range maximum for a particular job classification?

Yes.  This can occur if an employee receives an assignment differential, attains a certified administrative professional certification, or receives an increase based on salary policy.

Are equity increases based on performance allowable?

No.  Equity increases are granted based on the addition of permanent, more complex responsibilities or to lessen the severity of existing salary inequities between an employee and other employees in the same job classification.  Performance is not a factor.

What is the difference between the GPP and the BPP?

The General Pay Plan (GPP) is a prior pay plan that was used until July 2013 when the Basic Pay Plan (BPP) was established as a result of a market study. Some of the Constitutional Offices still utilize the GPP but the Executive Branch operates on the BPP.