Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I renew my license?
A: You can renew online or by paper renewal application. To renew online, please visit To renew using the paper renewal application you receive in the mail, please complete the paper renewal application, and return it along with the required renewal fee to the address specified on the renewal notice. If you lose the paper application you received in the mail, you can contact us at 615-532-4384 for a generic renewal notice to be e-mailed to you.

Approximately ninety (90) days in advance of your expiration date, you will receive a paper or electronic renewal notice notifying you of your upcoming expiration. Individuals who are “opted in” to receive electronic notifications from our office will receive the notification at the email address we have on file. Licensees who did not opt in will receive a paper renewal notice.

When you submit your renewal application you must provide proof of current NARM certification in good standing and proof of current CPR certification.

Q: How do I request a duplicate of my certificate?
A: You can request a duplicate certificate after logging into your online account here: From a drop down on the main menu, select Request a Duplicate Renewal Certificate or Duplicate Wall Certificate. The Duplicate Renewal Certificate will be a duplicate of the small certificate with your expiration date on it and it is free. The Duplicate Wall Certificate will be a duplicate of the large brown certificate, and costs $5. The certificate(s) will print and be mailed to the mailing address we have on file. We cannot provide an electronic copy of your license.

Q: How do I file a complaint on a certified professional midwife?
A: Contact the Bureau of Investigations at 1-800-852-2187; 615-532-3421

Q: I am retiring from the practice of certified professional midwifery. What should I do?
A: You may retire your professional midwifery license with the submission of an affidavit of retirement. You may access the affidavit here: There is no fee to retire your license; however, should you seek to obtain active licensure at a later date, the Committee may require that you submit evidence that you have maintained your clinical competency.

Application Processing Questions

Q: How can I contact the Committee’s Office?
A: You can reach us by phone at 615-532-4384. All documents being mailed to our office should be sent to: Council of Certified Professional Midwifery, 665 Mainstream Drive, Nashville, TN 37243.

Q: I allowed my Tennessee professional midwifery license to lapse. How do I reactivate my license?
A: If you have an expired (or retired) Tennessee professional midwifery license and wish to return to practice in Tennessee, you must submit an application for initial licensure. That application is available here:

If your application reveals you have been out of clinical practice for more than two years, you may be subject to additional requirements set by the Committee and/or Board.

Q: How do I check the status of my license application?
A: You may confirm that your application is in progress through our license verification page: If you applied for licensure online, then updates to your application are made available in your online account:

The Board’s administrative staff makes every effort to keep applicants apprised of their application status. This includes an effort to send deficiency letters to applicants every couple of weeks. Frequent calls and emails to our office for license status updates interrupt our administrators’ work processes and reduce the amount of time available to review applications and correspond with applicants regarding application deficiencies.

Q: How do I complete the background check process and what is my OCA number?
A: Follow this link for instructions on how to complete your background check.

Q: May I work while waiting for my license/certificate to be ratified by the Committee?
A: Yes, if you have been issued a license/certificate number you are allowed to commence practice in Tennessee. If your license/certificate is not ratified by the Committee you will be promptly notified to suspend your practice in Tennessee with an explanation for why your license/certificate was not ratified.

Q: Can my application be expedited if I have an employment opportunity pending the approval of my application?
A: No. Applications are reviewed and considered in the order in which they are received. To emphasize this point, the application instructions recommend that you do not make arrangements to accept employment to practice in Tennessee prior to being issued a license number. Requesting documents from outside organizations or others could be done prior to submitting your application which would assist in your file being promptly complete.