Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I renew my license?
A: You can renew online or by paper renewal application. To renew online, please visit To renew using the paper renewal application you receive in the mail, please complete the paper renewal application, and return it along with the required renewal fee to the address specified on the renewal notice. If you lose the paper application you received in the mail, you can contact us at 615-532-4384 for a generic renewal notice to be e-mailed to you.
Approximately ninety (90) days in advance of your expiration date, you will receive a paper or electronic renewal notice notifying you of your upcoming expiration. Individuals who are “opted in” to receive electronic notifications from our office will receive the notification at the email address we have on file. Licensees who did not opt in will receive a paper renewal notice.

Q: My license is due to renew, where do I send proof of my continuing education?
A: The Committee is not a records keeper of your continuing education. You will only be requested to send in continuing education proof if you are randomly selected for an audit after renewing your license.

Q: What happens if I failed to meet the required continuing education hours?
A: The Committee may conduct a continuing education audit of any licensee after the licensee renews. Upon receipt of the audit notice, if you fail to provide the required continuing education then the Committee’s administrative office will enforce the Committee’s policy on continuing education:

Q: How many total hours of continuing education am I required to complete each year?
A: All certified acupuncturists must obtain thirty (30) Professional Development Activity (PDA) points, as defined by NCCAOM, during the two (2) calendar year (January 1-December 31) period that precedes the year in which certification is renewed.

Q: How do I know whether a particular course is acceptable to the Committee?
A: The following professional courses and activities qualify for PDA points of continuing education:
(a) Courses – One (1) point for each hour of courses that directly enhance an acupuncturist’s knowledge and/or practice of acupuncture. Points may be earned for courses in Oriental medical theory and techniques such as bodywork, nutrition, and herbology, as well as courses in western sciences that relate to the practice of Acupuncture. Points may also be earned for the study of tai chi and qi gong.
(b) Research – One point for every two (2) hours of documented research. Acceptable research projects include those that relate to knowledge and/or practice in acupuncture.
(c) Writing for Publication – Ten (10) points for each article; Thirty (30) points for a book or major work. Publications include articles, studies, reports, books, etc., that relate to knowledge and/or practice in acupuncture.
(d) Teaching/Clinic Supervision – One (1) point for each clock hour of instruction or supervision relating to acupuncture. Teaching or supervision refers to the ongoing responsibility for theoretical and/or practical education. Credit can be earned for a variety of teaching positions, including teaching or clinical supervision in a formal school or preceptorship, provided there is appropriate documentation.
(e) Supervised Clinical Experience – One and one-half (1½) points for each clock hour of supervised clinical experience under a senior acupuncturist who has a minimum of five years of experience in acupuncture and is an NCCAOM Diplomate in Acupuncture. The clinical experience may include observation, case discussion, and/or supervised practice.

Q: How do I request a duplicate of my certificate?
A: You can request a duplicate certificate after logging into your online account here: From a drop down on the main menu, select Request a Duplicate Renewal Certificate or Duplicate Wall Certificate. The Duplicate Renewal Certificate will be a duplicate of the small certificate with your expiration date on it and it is free. The Duplicate Wall Certificate will be a duplicate of the large brown certificate, and costs $25. The certificate(s) will print and be mailed to the mailing address we have on file. We cannot provide an electronic copy of your license.

Q: How do I file a complaint on an acupuncturist?
A: Contact the Bureau of Investigations at 1-800-852-2187; 615-532-3421

Q: I am retiring from the practice of acupuncture. What should I do?
A: You may retire your acupuncture license with the submission of an affidavit of retirement. You may access the affidavit here: There is no fee to retire your license; however, should you seek to reinstate your license at a later date, the Committee may require that you submit evidence that you have maintained your clinical competency.

Application Processing Questions

Q: How can I contact the Committee’s Office?
A: You can reach us by phone at 615-532-4384. All documents being mailed to our office should be sent to: The Advisory Committee for Acupuncture, 665 Mainstream Drive, Nashville, TN 37243.

Q: I allowed my Tennessee acupuncture license to lapse. How do I reactivate my license?
A: If your license has been expired for greater than two (2) years you must apply for initial licensure. If your license has been expired for less than two (2) years you must submit a renewal application accompanied with the renewal fee, late renewal fee, and proof of continuing education completion.

Q: I voluntarily retired my Tennessee acupuncture license. How do I reactivate my license?
A: You must submit a reinstatement application to seek active licensure again:
In the event of retirement in excess of two (2) years or the receipt of derogatory information or communication during the reactivation process, the applicant should be prepared to meet or accept other conditions or restrictions as the Committee and/or Board may deem necessary to protect the public. If retirement was in excess of five (5) years, the applicant may be required to successfully complete whatever educational and/or testing requirements the Committee and/or Board feels necessary to establish current levels of competency.

Q: How do I check the status of my license application?
A: You may confirm that your application is in progress through our license verification page: If you applied for licensure online, then updates to your application are made available in your online account:
The Board’s administrative staff makes every effort to keep applicants apprised of their application status. This includes an effort to send deficiency letters to applicants every couple of weeks. Frequent calls and emails to our office for license status updates interrupt our administrators’ work processes and reduce the amount of time available to review applications and correspond with applicants regarding application deficiencies.

Q: How do I complete the background check process and what is my OCA number?
A: Follow this link for instructions on how to complete your background check. Your OCA Number is 2483.

Q: May I work while waiting for my license/certificate to be ratified by the Committee?
A: Yes, if you have been issued a license/certificate number you are allowed to commence practice in Tennessee. If your license/certificate is not ratified by the Committee you will be promptly notified to suspend your practice in Tennessee with an explanation for why your license/certificate was not ratified.

Q: Can my application be expedited if I have an employment opportunity pending the approval of my application?
A: No. Applications are reviewed and considered in the order in which they are received. To emphasize this point, the application instructions recommend that you do not make arrangements to accept employment to practice in Tennessee prior to being issued a license number. Requesting documents from outside organizations or others could be done prior to submitting your application which would assist in your file being promptly complete.