Sick Leave Bank
In 1988, the Tennessee General Assembly enacted legislation to form the Employee Sick Leave Bank. The Bank provides sick leave to qualifying member employees who are unable to work as a result of a personal illness, injury, disability, medical condition, or quarantine. There are approximately 18,000 active members in the Sick Leave Bank. Open enrollment for the Sick Leave Bank begins each year on August 1 and runs through October 31. By donating four (4) days of sick leave at the time of enrollment and one (1) day of sick leave annually, a qualifying member may receive a maximum of ninety (90) days from the Sick Leave Bank as a result of a personal illness, injury, disability, medical condition, or quarantine.
When filing an application for Sick Leave Bank benefits, the member must complete a Withdrawal Request Application. The Withdrawal Request Application must be submitted no earlier than two (2) weeks prior to but no later than thirty (30) workdays after expiration of all sick, compensatory, and annual leave.
For an initial request, a medical doctor/surgeon must complete and sign the Sick Leave Bank Medical Certification form and forward it directly to the Sick Leave Bank. Leave grants from the Bank may be for no more than thirty (30) consecutive days for which the member would otherwise be without pay.
Members may submit additional requests for benefits by sending new Withdrawal Request Applications. The medical doctor/surgeon or a nurse practitioner/physician´s assistant working directly under the supervision of the medical doctor/surgeon may submit subsequent Medical Certification forms directly to the Sick Leave Bank on behalf of the employee.
Enrolling for New Membership in the Sick Leave Bank
Sick Leave Bank Membership Open Enrollment is August 1st- October 31st annually.
Employees may apply for membership into the Sick Leave Bank via Edison and should follow the below path:
Navigator> HCM> Self Service> Time Reporting> Sick Leave Bank
To download Sick Leave Open Enrollment instructions, click here.
Applying for Sick Leave Bank Grants
- Sick Leave Bank Members must apply for Sick Leave Bank grants in Edison via the below path:
Navigator> HCM> Self Service> Time Reporting> Sick Leave Bank> Request Withdraw> Start a New Request
Forms & Resources to help in your use of the Sick Leave Bank Program
- Sick Leave Bank Guidelines
- Withdrawal Request Application Form *
- Medical Certification Form **
- SLB Open Enrollment Training
- SLB Applying for SLB Benefits Training
* The Withdrawal Request Application form will only be accepted when the agency is submitting on behalf of the employee because the employee is unable to submit via Edison. In this case, the employee will complete this form in its entirety and submit to their Agency SLB Coordinator certifying a request for benefits and the Coordinator will then submit the application in Edison on the employee’s behalf. Otherwise, the employee must submit their application in Edison via Employee Self Service as referenced above in the “Applying for Sick Leave Bank Grants” section.
** The Medical Certification form must be submitted by the employee’s medical provider via fax to the SLB Office at 615-532-3209.