Breaking Ground 112 - We Rock The SpectrumBy Steven Komarnitsky, We Rock The Spectrum – Franklin
Welcome to Tennessee's first inclusive sensory gym and recreational destination for children of ALL abilities, We Rock The Spectrum Kid’s Gym in Franklin.
We’re located on Murfreesboro Road in the Williamson Square Shopping Center next to the 96 and 65 interstates. The 5,600+ sq. ft. facility is filled with a variety of the latest occupational therapy equipment and sensory-based activities designed for all kids to use and enjoy.
Our mission is to provide a safe, fun, and welcoming environment and provide a Play With A Purpose™ experience to each child and adult. The Play With A Purpose™ approach is exercising and stimulating any of the seven senses through positive physical, emotional, and social development. These seven senses include sight, smell, taste, hearing, touch, the vestibular system, and proprioception. Our sensory-safe equipment and the classes all work to encourage these! All children are able to benefit greatly from this equipment, and by allowing children of all ability levels to play together, they are able to learn a great deal from each other and become the best motivation for success on every level.
My wife, Samantha Komarnitsky, and I are 2020 transplants from Los Angeles. We are dedicated parents to our son Nash (8) and daughter Colette “Coco” (6). At the age of 4, Nash was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. While researching resources for him, we discovered We Rock the Spectrum (WRTS). While WRTS was initially a place for Nash, once we introduced Coco to the gym, we soon realized how beneficial it is for ALL children to experience We Rock and help promote acceptance and inclusivity through play.
The We Rock the Spectrum – Franklin, TN staff is composed of the most caring, understanding, and energetic people around. We have a host of staffers and volunteers who come to us to assist our gym and its goal of aiding children with disabilities in growing beyond the expectations of doctors and therapists. Often, a therapist for a child with disabilities will attend the gym with the children in order to observe and provide their therapy while using the equipment in our gym. This allows kids the access they want to the amazing equipment while the therapist is able to take advantage of the support and availability of the staff and equipment, which might not be present in other settings.
Why do we rock? Our gym includes:
- Suspended equipment with swings – for balance and vestibular treatment
- Crash mats and crash pillows – for fun, motor planning, and strength
- Zip line – for stress release and joint and body relaxation
- Trampoline – for building leg and core strength
- Indoor play structure – for climbing and increasing playground skills
- Sensory-based toys and equipment– for improved auditory processing and fine motor skills
- Fine motor and arts and crafts area – for improved hand-eye coordination
- Calming room – for regulating emotions, and reducing negative sensory input
- Private 750 sq. ft. room for birthday parties, private events, and classes
- Universal, adjustable changing tables
For more information about our gym and our programs, visit our website at www.werockthespectrumfranklintn.com or follow us on social media!