Public Records Requests
The Tennessee Public Records Act (TPRA) grants any Tennessee citizen the right to personally inspect and receive a copy of the public records possessed by a governmental entity unless otherwise provided by state law. See Tenn. Code Ann. § 10-7-503(a)(2)(A). However, some records, such as confidential records and other sensitive information, are protected from disclosure. See e.g., Tenn. Code Ann. § 10-7-504. The public records of the Tennessee Public Utility Commission (TPUC) are presumed to be open for inspection unless otherwise protected as provided by state law.
The TPUC seeks to provide ready access to routine, frequently requested public records. Therefore, the following public records may be accessed free-of-charge using the navigation links found under Resources.
- Orders and public notices issued by the Tennessee Public Utility Commission (previously known as the
Tennessee Regulatory Authority or TRA) may be found under the Orders and Notices Index.
- TPUC conference agendas may be found under Conference Agendas.
- TPUC annual and other reports may be found under Reports and Publications.Non-confidential information filed in
TPUC docket files may be found under the Active Docket Index.
- Public meeting notices of the Tennessee Underground Utility Enforcement Board and Executive Committee may
be found under UUDP Meeting Notices.
- Meeting minutes of the Tennessee Underground Utility Enforcement Board and Executive Committee may be
found under UUDP Meeting Minutes.
- Meeting minutes of the Tennessee Underground Utility Enforcement Board and Executive Committee may be found under UUDP Meeting Minutes.
All public records requests must be made to the TPUC's Public Records Request Coordinator (PRRC) (see information below) in order to ensure an appropriate and timely response. Requests for copies or for inspection and copies, of public records are required to be made in writing using the Public Records Request Form. You should provide as much detail as possible about the records that you seek. You may not always be able to obtain records when the records that you request are protected from disclosure, such as confidential records and other protected information. Payment of fees for copies and labor that exceed $10.00 will not be waived and must be paid in advance by check or money order. Please include your telephone number so that we may contact you if we have questions.
Public Records Request Coordinator
Tennessee Public Utility Commission
502 Deaderick Street, 4th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
Fax: (615) 741-9934
For additional information, see Tenn. R & Regs.1220-1-04, .the Tennessee Public Utility Commission’s access to Public Records Rules.