Former Covered Bridges
Brice's Bridge - Knox County
Brice's Covered Bridge was located over Big Flat Creek in Knox County. Built in 1878, the one span bridge was 110 feet in length. It was burned by Halloween pranksters in 1968.
Bloomingdale Bridge - Sullivan County
Bloomingdale Covered Bridge was located over Reedy Creek in Sullivan County, north of Hwy. 11 W about 11 miles west of Bristol. Constructed in about 1880, the old bridge was on a private road and had a 44-foot span. This photo shows its dilapidated condition in the summer of 1965.
Port Royal Bridge - Montgomery County
Originally constructed over the historic Red River
prior to the Civil War, the structure was swept away by flood in 1866 and soon rebuilt. The second bridge was repaired in 1897 and was being reconditioned when it crashed on Dec. 7, 1903. The third bridge was completed in 1904 and was later condemned for traffic. This photo shows its condition in October, 1965.
Bridge at David Crockett State Park
The state built this covered bridge in 1959 in the Davy Crockett State Park near Lawrenceburg in Lawrence County. The bridge spanned the stream flowing from the reconstructed dam and mill at the park. The bridge washed away in a flood in 1998. The state built a new bridge in April 1999. Photo: 1966, TN Dept. of Environment & Conservation Photograph Collection, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville.
Glen Raven Bridge
Constructed at an unknown date, the Glen Raven Bridge spanned the Sulphur Creek and was originally used mainly by the Washington family who had extensive land holdings in Robertson County. This covered bridge was removed in 1958 and replaced with a more modern structure. The bridge was located four miles south of Cedar Hill between Washington Hall and Wessyngton over the Sulphur Fork of the Red River in Robertson County. Photo: TN Dept. of Environment & Conservation Photograph Collection, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville.
Paint Rock Creek Bridge
Built in the early 1870s as a crossing on the old
Jacksboro-Huntsville-Monticello Road between
Jacksboro, Tennessee and Monticello, Kentucky, this bridge went through several renovations, with the covering being added in 1912. The Paint Rock Creek Bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Vandals burned and destroyed the bridge in March 1980. Photo: Tennessee Historical Commission, Nashville