Bridge repairs to impact travel on I-40 in KnoxvilleWork will occur over the next few weekends; Fridays at 8 p.m. through Mondays at 6 a.m.
Knoxville, Tenn. - Motorists traveling on I-40 in Knoxville should be alert for lane closures that will have a significant impact on travel this weekend, as crews perform bridge repairs.
- 8 p.m. Friday, March 2 through 6 a.m. Monday, March 5 - I-40 West will be reduced to one lane near Mile Marker 385 (I-640 Interchange).
- 8 p.m. Friday, March 2 through 6 a.m. Monday, March 5 - I-40 East and West will be reduced to two lanes near Mile Marker 382 (Wesley Road overpass).
Crews will be working around the clock to complete Phase 1 of the scheduled repairs. Motorists should expect potential long delays, adjust travel times, and seek alternate routes.
I-40 Westbound thru traffic should consider taking I-640 West or I-275 North to I-640 West to bypass the one lane condition near Mile Marker 385.
This bridge repair work will take place over the next few weekends. The schedule is as follows:
- Friday, March 2nd at 8 p.m. – Monday, March 5th at 6 a.m.
- Friday, March 9th at 8 p.m. – Monday, March 12th at 6 a.m.
- Friday, March 16th at 8 p.m. – Monday, March 19th at 6 a.m.
- Friday, March 23rd at 8 p.m. – Monday, March 26th at 6 a.m.
- Friday, April 6th at 8 p.m. – Monday, April 9th at 6 a.m. (if necessary)
- Friday, April 13th at 8 p.m. – Monday, April 16th at 6 a.m. (if necessary)
Work will not take place from March 30 through April 2 (Easter weekend).
Motorists should be alert as workers will be present and there will likely be slowed or stopped conditions. Motorists should use extreme caution through this area.
The TDOT SmartWay system has real-time information concerning Tennessee roadway conditions. Please do not use this service when you are behind the wheel. https://smartway.tn.gov/