Statewide Cybersecurity Newsletter Archive
This page serves as an archive for State of Tenneessee newsletters and bulletins dedicated to cybersecurity topics. Feel free to download PDF copies by selecting the subject tab below that best fits your needs.
Vishing - or “voice phishing” is phishing via phone call using social engineering tactics. Regardless of how a phising attack is delivered, the message will typically always appear to come from a trusted sender.
Safe Online Shopping - Lern more about safe online shopping practices and ways to ensure you are protecting your family and friends during this holiday shopping season!
Shopping Safely Online - Don't give your personal financial information to online criminals! Learn some key tips on how to follow safe online shopping practices in order to make online purchasing more secure.
Top Cyber Threats - Learn about the greatest threats to security that we face today such as ransomware and phishing; and how to be less vulnerable to these threats.
IT Wisdom That Helps Keeps You Secure - IT professionals are asked every day about keeping information secure in your workspace, whether you’re on a desktop or a laptop or on the state’s WiFi. Here’s our state's best practices in the changing technology landscape.
Phishing Tactics - Cyber criminals have become more advanced with their use of targeted phishing attempts on vulnerable groups or specific people. Learn about the latest phishing tactics and how you can continue to remain vigilant against these threats.
The line between our online and offline lives is indistinguishable. In these tech-fueled times, our homes, societal well-being, economic prosperity and nation’s security are impacted by the internet. The documents available for download below come from trusted partners.
- Purple Arrow: Daily Cyber Newsletter (11-18-2021)
- Avoiding Student Aid Scams (Nov 2021) - A number of offers for financial aid or help (such as a “pandemic grant” or “Biden loan forgiveness”) have circulated during the coronavirus pandemic. Below, we’ll teach you how to avoid and report fraud.
- FBI's The Cyber Shield (August 25, 2021) - This publication incorporates open source news articles to educate readers on cyber security matters. This issue includes: Peripheral Device’s Software Giving Users Admin Rights; Critical Infrastructure Attacks Continue To Escalate; BEC Scam Hits Small Town With A $2.3m Learning Opportunity; Hacker Who Pulled Off $600 Million Heist Offered A Job; Unsecured Cloud Storage “Buckets” Becoming Commonplace; Conti Ransomware Hits U.S. Cellular Network Design Company; and Retail Companies Increasingly Targeted By Cyber Crime.
- Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) releases a new fact sheet to help organizations protect sensitive and personal information from ransomware-caused attacks, and protect against and respond to ransomware-caused data breaches. In this fact sheet, CISA encourages organizations to adopt a heightened state of awareness and implement the recommendations to reduce their risk to ransomware and protect sensitive and personal information. Public and private sector partners will find information on preventing and responding to ransomware-caused data breaches.
- Feds Announce Cybersecurity Resources for State, Local Gov - A new training guide aims to help local, state and federal employees chart the way to cybersecurity roles and skill development resources, while a new entity will coordinate cyber defense across all levels of government.
- Ransomware Task Force Report Briefing for State/Local Leaders - Combating Ransomware: A Comprehensive Framework for Action
- StopRansomware.gov is the new US Government website launched to help organizations reduce their risk of ransomware. This site helps government agencies pool resources to better protect their networks against cyber threats like ransomware. The website will also highlight the latest ransomware related alerts.
- What We Urge You To Do To Protect Against The Threat of Ransomware - a White House memo from Anne Neuberger, Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Cyber and Emerging Technology, to Corporate Executives and Business Leaders (June 2021).