Academic Transcripts and Certificates
The Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) maintains student transcripts and certificates from non-exempt, authorized postsecondary institutions that have closed.*
THEC DOES NOT maintain or distribute transcripts from high schools, the GED test, or the HiSET test. To locate one of these, please contact the high school, local board of education, the Tennessee Department of Education, or the National Student Clearinghouse Electronic Transcript Exchange.
Please note that the transcript and certificate files received from closed institutions are sometimes incomplete. As such, failure to locate an academic record from a closed institution does not invalidate the student’s claim of attendance or the completion of a course or program of study. The Commission only administers and maintains the records as provided by the closed institution and will not amend any academic records. If the Commission does not have a requested record, a letter will be sent indicating that the Commission does not have a transcript or certificate on file.
* THEC maintains ITT transcripts for students that graduated prior to 2001. For transcripts after 2001 order transcripts from Parchment ITT.
Please read the following before submitting the request:
- There is a ten dollar ($10.00) non-refundable processing fee for each request. Payment by credit card is required when the request is submitted. A small, non-refundable transaction fee will be applied to the credit card payment.
- REQUEST PROCESSING FEES ARE NOT REFUNDABLE EVEN IF THE TRANSCRIPT OR CERTIFICATE IS NOT ON FILE. INSTEAD, A LETTER WILL BE SENT TO THE LISTED RECIPIENT STATING THAT NO TRANSCRIPT OR CERTIFICATE IS ON FILE FOR THE STUDENT.
- All inquiries regarding a request must be made within sixty (60) days from the date of the request. After sixty (60) days, it is assumed that the request was completed as submitted.
- Requests are processed within ten (10) business days from the receipt of the request.
To submit a request CLICK HERE.
For Questions Call 615.741.1346
Below are institutions that have closed and were exempt from THEC authorization. THEC is not required to maintain or disburse transcripts for these institutions; however, transcripts can be obtained as follows:
Hiwassee College Order transcripts from Tennessee Wesleyan University HERE.
Lambuth University Order transcripts from the University of Memphis HERE.
Memphis College of Art Order transcripts from from Parchment HERE.
Tennessee Temple University Order transcripts from Carolina University HERE.