Standards for Reporting
Guidelines for reporting cancer to the Tennessee Cancer Registry (TCR) are established by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). These guidelines are published in the Data Standards and Data Dictionary (Standards for Cancer Registries, Volume II). This document presents standards for which cases are to be included in the registry, which data items are to be collected, and the source of standard for the coding rules of those items.
The Tennessee Cancer Registry also uses guidelines for cancer reporting based on suggestions by the National Cancer Institute-Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program, the American College of Surgeons (ACoS), the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), and the Collaborative Staging Task Force of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. The guidelines are published in the current versions of the SEER Program Coding & Staging Manual, the Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS), the American Joint Committee on Cancer- Cancer Staging Manual, the Collaborative Staging Manual and Coding Instructions, and the SEER Summary Stage 2000 Manual.
The use of each of these manuals is REQUIRED when abstracting and submitting data to the TCR.
- Collaborative Staging Manual and Coding Instructions, Version 02.05 (Available for downloading athttp://cancerstaging.org/cstage/coding/Pages/Version-02.05.aspx)
- 2007 Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules (Available for downloading at http://seer.cancer.gov/tools/mphrules/download.html )
- 2015 Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasm Case Reportability and Coding manual (Available for downloading athttp://seer.cancer.gov/seertools/hemelymph/ )
- SEER Summary Staging Manual 2000 (Available for downloading at http://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/)
- AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, Seventh Edition
For additional information regarding the ACoS FORDS Manual, SEER Program Coding and Staging Manual, Collaborative Staging Manual and Coding Instructions, NAACCR Data Standards and Data Dictionary, please visit the following websites:
Collaborative Staging Manual
and Coding Instructions: http://www.cancerstaging.org/cstage