|TEST NAME||Histoplasma culture|
|ALTERNATE NAME(S)||Cave Disease, Darling's Disease, Ohio Valley Disease, Spelunker's Lung|
|METHODOLOGY||Morphology, D2 LSU sangar sequencing|
|ORDERING INFORMATION||TDH DLS Requisition: PH-4182 Clinical Submission Requisition Form|
- Culture isolate on Sabouraud's agar or other appropriate media (i.e. potato dextrose agar, potato flake agar, inhibitory mold agar, brain heart infusion, brain heart infusion with sheeps blood, brain heart infusion with chloramphenicol, brain heart Infusion with gentamicin, Sabouraud brain heart infusion with chloramphenicol and gentamicin, SDA Emmons, SDA Emmons with cycloheximide and chloramphenicol) in screw capped tube.
- Only pure cultures will be accepted.
- Isolate should be submitted on primary media or subculture after growth is visible.
|Specimen Storage and Preservation||
|Specimen Acceptability and Rejection||
- The specimen was broken or leaked in transit
- No specimen was in the container submitted
- Raw specimens recieved over three (3) days in transit post collection.
- Specimens submitted in a non-regulation container
- Specimens overgrown with organisms that cannot be separated from the submitted isolate
- Unacceptable specimen types (i.e. Foley or urinary catheter tips, Lochia, Vomitus, Colostomy discharge materials, Stool specimens, Gastric contents or gastric washings)
This Page Last Updated: September 15, 2023 at 11:54 AM