Citizens Correctional Academy
We are currently accepting applications. The deadline to apply is Monday, February 6, 2023.
The Tennessee Department of Correction's Citizens Correctional Academy is a five week seminar designed to provide local citizens with an in-depth look at corrections and our efforts to enhance public safety. The academy allows Tennesseans the opportunity to learn about TDOC functions and programming from executive leadership, ask questions, and tour facilities to gain a better understanding of the agency and the work of its more than 6,000 dedicated employees by taking a “behind the wall” look at corrections in Tennessee.
A total of five (5) classes will be held one night per week from 6:00 p.m. til 9:00 p.m. every Tuesday in the Nashville area. A graduation ceremony will be held from 6:00 p.m. til 8:00 p.m.
Who can attend?
- TDOC Citizens' Correctional Academy is open to all Tennessee residents.
- TDOC employees and their family members are eligible.
What are the requirements?
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- No criminal history other than minor traffic violations.
- Must be able to attend all five (5) sessions.
- Must not currently have a family member or loved one incarcerated in TDOC custody or on community supervision.
- Must complete, sign, and return all required forms, waivers, and agreements.
- Submit a completed application to TDOC.Communications by Monday, February 6, 2023.
What are the dates for the academy?
- Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023
- Tuesday, May 9, 2023
- Tuesday, May 16, 2023
- Tuesday, May 23, 2023 (Graduation)
Where will the academy be held?
Sessions will be held at various Middle Tennessee TDOC locations (prisons and offices). Information about the locations will be provided by email to those approved to attend.