The Harold Love Outstanding Community Service Award
Community service recognition programs for higher education students and faculty/staff at the campus level were created in Tennessee through legislation enacted by the General Assembly in 1991. In 1997, the awards were named for the late Representative Harold Love, who was instrumental in passing the enabling legislation. The Tennessee Higher Education Commission was given the charge to develop rules and regulations by which to implement these programs for public and private two and four-year institutions. A taskforce of institutional and board representatives is convened each year to review each proposal submitted by the campuses and to select the five student and five faculty/staff recipients. Each recipient will receive a $1000 cash prize.
Love is in the House
Elected to the General Assembly in 1968, Representative Harold Love, Sr., was known for his compassion and good humor. A prominent Nashville insurance salesman, Rep. Love also served on the board of directors for the South Street Center and the Eighteenth Avenue Community Center. He graduated from Tennessee State University and was awarded its Distinguished Alumnus Award.
With the welfare of his community as his primary concern, Rep. Love would go to any lengths to help a constituent in need, even if it meant giving from his own pocket. That is why, whenever he was present during a session of the House of Representatives, it was said, “Love is in the House.”
2019 Community Service Taskforce Members
- Brittany Mosby, Tennessee Higher Education Commission
- Terry Denniston, University of Tennessee Chattanooga
- Kathy Feagins, East Tennessee State University
- Brett Gipson, Tennessee Higher Education Commission
- Monique Robinson-Nichols, Vanderbilt University
- Michael Tinsley, Tennessee Board of Regents
- Kirbi Tucker, University of Memphis
- Patrick Wade, TCAT Knoxville
Nominees must be a current student (full-time or part-time) or current faculty/staff member at a Tennessee higher education institution. Nominations will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Lasting/meaningful impact on community 40%
- Length and degree of service 20%
- Above and beyond the call of duty 20%
- Recognized and valued by peers and community leaders 20%
The following steps must be completed to submit a nomination packet:
- Fill in the included nomination form , electronically. Altered or institutionally-personalized forms will not be considered.
- Compile the requested documentation, to be submitted with the nomination form. When possible, documentation should be submitted in PDF or Microsoft Word format.
- Submit all materials as attachments to a single email addressed to Brittany.Mosby@tn.gov using the subject, Student Love Award Nomination Packet for student nominees or Faculty/Staff Love Award Nomination Packet for faculty/staff nominees. Please avoid submitting multiple emails for a single nominee.
Nomination packets are due on or before Monday, March 11, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. CDT. Only completed nominations received by the deadline will be considered. Winners will be notified by March 21st If you have further questions about the nomination process, contact Brittany Mosby at 615-253-8874 or Brittany.Mosby@tn.gov.
Letters requesting nominations sent to Presidents/Chancellors, SGA, Campus newspapers
Deadline for nominations to be received by THEC
Nominations sent to task force for review
Selection of award recipients by taskforce
Recipients and all Presidents notified of selections
The individuals selected to receive recognition represent the many dimensions of community service – volunteer work, public service, charitable service and leadership roles in community organizations. They serve as ambassadors for community service among the many diverse higher educational communities in Tennessee.
2018 Student Recipients
- Cassandra Riedy, Belmont University
- Molly Ridgeway, Maryville College
- Robert Owen, Middle Tennessee State University
- Sarah Saulsbury, Northeast State Community College
- Nathaniel Farnor, East Tennessee State University
2018 Faculty/Staff Recipients
- June Hanks, University of Tennessee Chattanooga
- Clinton Smith, University of Tennessee Martin
- Mona Ivey-Soto, Belmont University
- John Vile, Middle Tennessee State University
- Richard Brown, University of Tennessee Chattanooga