Breastfeeding Promotion and Support in WIC
Research has shown that breast milk is the best food for baby’s first year of life. Breastfeeding provides many health, nutritional, economical and emotional benefits to mother and baby. Since a major goal of the WIC Program is to improve nutrition and health, WIC mothers are encouraged to breastfeed their infants. WIC promotes breastfeeding to all pregnant women as the optimal infant feeding choice, unless medically contraindicated.
- WIC mothers choosing to breastfeed are provided information through counseling and breastfeeding educational materials.
- Breastfeeding mothers are eligible to participate in WIC longer than non-breastfeeding mothers
- Mothers who exclusively breastfeed their infants receive an enhanced food package.
- Breastfeeding mothers can receive breast pumps to help support the initiation and continuation of breastfeeding.
- All health departments in Tennessee have a staff person who is responsible for coordinating breastfeeding services. This person is referred to as the local breastfeeding advocate.
For more information on breastfeeding, call your local health department or call 1-800-DIAL WIC (1-800-342-5942).