Serving Neighbors From Afar
During these days of social distancing, First Lady Maria Lee is encouraging her fellow Tennesseans to join her in serving neighbors from afar. Consider the following ways to serve:
- Buy a gift card from a local store or restaurant for later use to support them during this time.
- Cater a meal for local health care providers using a local restaurant or catering service.
- Check in regularly on elderly neighbors and family members, offer to pick up their groceries, and leave them on their porch or in their garage.
- Coordinate with the local senior center to drop off supplies for the folks they serve.
- Encourage your church to adopt a family in need of child care or meals while their kids are home from school.
- Find out if any elderly neighbors or relatives have pharmacy needs.
- Go through closets for gently used clothes to donate to tornado victims.
- If you are a stay-at-home parent, consider providing child care for a family with working parents.
- Offer to stock the breakroom of your local grocers.
- Order takeout from a local eatery.
- Send power bars and energy drinks, such as Gatorade, to local health care providers.
- While kids are home from school, make well-wishes cards for the elderly and mail them to a local senior center or retirement home.