Monthly Service Challenge
Each month, a new mission will be posted as motivation for us all to roll up our sleeves and serve our communities. Be sure to keep the Office of the First Lady in the loop by posting on social media using #TennesseeServes for a chance to be recognized as a Service Spotlight. Grab your friends, family, classmates or colleagues and join us as Tennessee Serves!
January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month. Tennessee has a nonprofit network dedicated to aiding human trafficking survivors with safe housing, warm meals and therapeutic aftercare services. Join the Tennessee Serves January Challenge and support survivors in your community.
REMEMBER: Anyone can report if they see something suspicious. The Tennessee Human Trafficking Hotline is (855) 558-6484.
Ways to serve this month:
1. Volunteer: The Tennessee Anti-Slavery Alliance (TASA) comprises three organizations that provide resources statewide. Click on the organization for ways to serve in each grand division.
2. Learn: Educate yourself on the complexities of human trafficking as a crime.
- Visit ItHasToStop.com for educational resources and ways to get involved.
- Schedule a training with your business, church group, professional group etc.
- Download the Someone Like Me podcast to hear from survivors and professionals working in anti-human trafficking efforts.
3. Give: The need for trained professionals with specific skills is important in the healing and restoration process. Anyone can get involved by supporting the work. As a 501(C)(3), all gifts, in-kind goods or services are tax deductible. Click on the links below for more information.
- West Tennessee: Restore Corps
- Middle Tennessee: End Slavery Tennessee
- East Tennessee: Grow Free
- Gift cards: In January, there is a special push for emergency food gift cards. Gift cards can be mailed to the P.O. boxes listed on each organization’s website or sent electronically to Restore Corps at email@example.com, End Slavery Tennessee at firstname.lastname@example.org or Grow Free at email@example.com. Most common/popular gift cards needed in emergency situations:
- Burger King
- Taco Bell
4. Donate items or a meal