|TEST NAME||Coccidioides species|
|ALTERNATE NAME(S)||Valley Fever|
|ORDERING INFORMATION||TDH DLS Requisition: PH-4182 Clinical Submission Requisition Form|
- Culture isolate on Sabouraud's agar or other appropriate media (i.e. potato dextrose agar, potato flake agar, inhibitory mold agar, brain heart infusion, brain heart infusion with sheeps blood, brain heart infusion with chloramphenicol, Brain Heart Infusion with gentamicin, Sabouraud Brain Heart infusion with chloramphenicol and gentamicin, SDA Emmons, SDA Emmons with cycloheximide and chloramphenicol) in screw capped tube.
- Only pure cultures will be accepted.
|Specimen Storage and Preservation||
|Specimen Acceptability and Rejection||
Unsatisfactory specimens include, but may not be limited to:
- The specimen was broken or leaked in transit
- No specimen was in the container submitted
- Raw specimens that were over three days in transit
- Specimens submitted in containers not meeting DOT or IATA criteria for shipment of cultures.
- Specimens overgrown with organisms that cannot be separated from the submitted isolate
- Unacceptable specimen types (i.e. Foley or urinary catheter tips, Lochia, Vomitus, Colostomy discharge materials, Stool specimens, Gastric contents or gastric washings)
This Page Last Updated: September 15, 2023 at 11:27 AM