Long Term Care Facilities
Effective TB prevention and control measures in nursing homes:
- Early identification of persons with TB disease through entry and periodic follow-up screening;
- Successful treatment of TB disease and latent TB infection;
- Appropriate use of airborne precautions (e.g., airborne infection isolation, environmental controls, and respiratory protection);
- Comprehensive discharge planning; and
- Thorough and efficient contact investigations when a TB case has been identified.
These measures should be instituted in close collaboration with local or state health department TB-control programs and other key partners. To ensure TB prevention and control measures are effective, periodic program evaluation should be conducted.