Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners
The Board requires each licensed Podiatrist to complete fifteen (15) clock hours of continuing education each calendar year (January 1- December 31).
- Twelve (12) hours of the fifteen (15) clock hour requirement shall be clinical, scientific, or related to patient care. If the licensee is performing ankle surgery pursuant to T.C.A. § 63-3-101 (b) (1), ten (10) of these twelve (12) hours shall pertain to ankle surgery.
- Beginning January 1, 2008, at least one (1) hour of the annual fifteen (15) hour requirement shall, every other calendar year, be a course designed specifically to address prescribing practices.
- Ten (10) of the fifteen (15) clock hour requirement must be completed in the traditional “lecture/classroom” format.
- Five (5) hours of the fifteen (15) clock hour requirement may be completed in any of the following multi-media formats: The Internet, Closed circuit television, Satellite broadcast, Correspondence courses, Videotapes, CD-ROM, DVD, Teleconferencing, Videoconferencing or Distance learning.
Acceptable continuing education shall consist of courses provided or sponsored by the APMA, APMA approved colleges of podiatric medicine, state, regional (zone), national and affiliated specialty groups, the U.S. federal government, or other education programs approved by the Board.
Each person certified by the Board must biennially complete four (4) hours of radiological related continuing education in courses provided or sponsored by the APMA, a state regional affiliate of the APMA, an affiliated specialty group, the United Sates government, or other courses approved by the Board.
Orthotist, Prosthetist, Pedorthists
Each licensed orthotist, prosthetist and pedorthist must annually complete fifteen (15) hours of continuing education in courses applicable to his/her profession. At least six (6) hours of the continuing education each year must be obtained by each licensee from providers in the State of Tennessee. No more than five (5) hours of the annual requirement shall be completed by any of the means listed in Rule 1155-02-.12 (1) (d) The Internet, Closed circuit television, Satellite broadcast, correspondence courses, Videotapes, CD-ROM, DVD, Teleconferencing, Videoconferencing or Distance Learning.
- A person who is licensed in more than one (1) profession under these rules shall annually complete a total of twenty (20) hours of continuing education.
- Of the twenty (20) hours required by subparagraph (a), six (6) hours shall be subjects pertaining to each profession in which he/she is licensed. For example, a person who is licensed as an orthotist and as a prosthetist is required to complete six (6) hours pertaining to orthotics and six (6) hours pertaining to prosthetics. The remaining eight (8) hours required could pertain to either orthotics or prosthetics.
- Acceptable continuing education shall consist of courses provided, approved, or sponsored by: The American Board for Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics, Inc.; The Board for Orthotist/Prosthetist Certification; The Board for Certification in Pedorthics; The Pedorthic Footwear Association; Tennessee Orthotic and Prosthetic Facilities, Inc.; The Tennessee Podiatric Medical Association; and any other entity whose education programs have been approved by the Board.