Contractors Renewal Retirement and Revisions

Board for Licensing Contractors

Reinstatement of Expired License

Contractor's failing to complete the license renewal within 12 months of the expiration date, would need to complete the new license application. All steps must be followed with the exception of the exams; not required to be retaken if remained active in the industry for the past two (2) years.

Summary of Reinstatement Instructions

To reinstate a contractor’s license expired more than 12 months, a contractor must: complete the “Contractor’s License Application”; select “Reinstatement” on page one (1); and list the license ID# of the expired license.    When reinstating a contractor’s license, you may apply for this new reinstated license with a name change, change in mode of operation, license limit or classification. All the steps to reinstating a contractor’s license are the same as obtaining a new license, with the exception of the exams.  The license does not have to be reinstated the same as it was prior to expiring.  May apply in a new name, mode of operation, different monetary limit or classifications.  However, the license ID number will remain the same as the expired license.  Do not use the license until your license is issued and in active status. You may check status of your pending application from the “License Search” at our website:

Exam Requirements For Reinstatements

  • Trade Exam Required - The trade exams would be required to reinstate a license:
    • If the Qualifying Agent (QA) is no longer with the entity
    • License has been expired more than 24 months and does not provide a written request for waiver with evidence showing the QA has remained active in the industry (working as a sub; working on smaller projects; working for a licensed contractor; working in another state; etc. 
    • Business and Law exam is NOT required to be retaken
    • BC-A/r (Restricted Limited License) expired licensees must retake the course
  • Trade Exam Not Required (Waived) - The trade exams would not be required or may request to be waived if:
    • The original Qualifying Agent (QA) is still with the company
    • License has not been expired more than 24 months;
      • If it has been more than 24 months, as long as the QA has been active in the industry by working for another contractor, as a subcontractor or in another state, may request to be waived by providing evidence of recent experience.
    • Business and Law exam is NOT required to be retaken

Note:  It is up to the Board to determine whether the exam would need to be retaken on waiver requests and they would make this decision upon reviewing the complete application at the Board meeting; staff cannot make this determination.  If there is a history of complaints, judgments, convictions, etc., you may be required to appear for an interview.

Forms and instructions to reinstate a contractor’s license is at:
How to Become a Licensed Contractor

Contractor's Renewal, Retirement and Revisions


Renewal forms are no longer mailed to licensees.  Notices to renew online are mailed to licensees 90 days prior to expiration date with online renewal instructions. If you prefer to renew by mail, you may print the renewal form below.  Renewals are due 30 days prior to expiration to prevent contracting while unlicensed.  The renewal fee is $200 and each month late is $20.   There is not a grace period to continue to operate while the license is expired; however, a contractor has renewal rights up to 12 months before they are required to complete a new license application to reinstate a license.   Contractors working on an expired license may not be entitled to recover monies owed on a project or have lien rights.  The renewal form is available online for anyone needing a financial balance sheet at:  The financial statement may be self-prepared by the contractor and is not required to be prepared by a licensed public accountant or a certified public accountant when their monetary limit is $1,500,000 or less.  A "Compiled" financial statement from a licensed public accountant or a certified public accountant is required to renew for those with a monetary limit of greater than $1,500,000.  To check the status of your license, go to "Verify a License".  For questions concerning your renewal or to send missing documents, the Board's renewal section may be contacted by email at:

Online Renewal

The "Online Renewal" process is the quickest and most convenient way to renew.    It requires scanning and attaching your supporting documents (financial statement, certificate of insurance, etc.) in lieu of sending by mail.   Corporate entities need to also include proof of active status with the Secretary of State.  In addition, disclosures of felony, complaints and unpaid judgments relative to construction should also be included.  Failing to attach all required documents prevent the renewal from being processed.

To renew online, you must first set up an account and will need to have a “Indv/Org #” located on your notice of renewal.  If you cannot locate this number, you may contact the Contractors Board or the Customer Service Center (be sure to include your license number).  If you have more than one (1) license with the Department of Commerce and Insurance, you may add these to your account.  If you need more instructions or a balance sheet, it is available in the paper renewal form at:

 Online Renewal Process

  1. Go to:
  2. Register for an account and set password
    • You will be asked for your
      Indv/Org #, License ID#, Email, and Zip Code

After completing the online renewal questions and paying the fee, you will have the opportunity to attach the required supporting documents as follows: 

  1. Financial statement; 
  2. Certificate of Insurance for General Liability; 
  3. Workers’ Compensation  Information (Certificate of Insurance, or Construction Service Provider exemption, unless claiming the Handyman exemption); and
  4. Corporations and LLC must provide proof of active status with the Secretary of State which is available at:
  5. Residential Continuing Education (RCE) for those licensed after January 1, 2009 and hold a BC-A or BC-A/r classification.

Click here to view a video demonstration on how to create an account.

Click here to view a video demonstration on how to renew license online (after your account has been created).

Paper Renewal

Most Common Reasons for Delay of Renewal

  • Online Renewal - Failure to Send Required Documents
    • financial statement; certificate of insurance of general liability; RCE; proof of insurance or exemption for workers' compensation.  Also must provide information if disclosure of convictions, complaints, or judgments is needed. These should be submitted as soon as completing the online renewal and may be sent to our Board by mail; email to or faxed to (615) 532-2868..
  • Corporation / LLC - Inactive Status
  • Financial Statement Problems
    • Balance Sheet did not list assets and liabilities (current and non-current)
    • Financial Statement is not in the name as licensed
      • Name Change or Mode Change may be requested to the Board by completing a license revision form (it is encouraged to do so prior to renewing)
    • Working Capital and Net Worth do not support monetary limit on license
  • Failed to Provide Late Fee ($20 per month)
    • Example:  Expiration date of 10/31/2023; if renewal is received on December 1, 2023, a late fee would be assessed for two (2) months. 
    • There is a 7-day grace period for late fees on the first month.  Expiration date of 10/31/2013 would not owe a late fee as long as the renewal was received (not postmarked) by November 7th.
    • There is not a grace period to perform work while expired.  Doing so is a violation of law.
  • Mode of Operation or Name Changed
    • A contractor should apply for a mode change name change if they have changed their operations as approved on their license, by completing the license revision request form (better to do so prior to renewing a license).  If submitting a change at the time of renewal, it may be delayed since the Board must review at their regularly scheduled meetings.
  • Change of Ownership
    • Whenever there has been a majority change of ownership, a new license application must be completed in lieu of renewing.  If the ownership is due to one of the corporate or LLC members leaving and there is not a new incoming owner, the remaining owner would not be required to obtain a new license, but must notification the board in writing and provide a letter of Relinquishment from the owner leaving.  Partnerships must apply for a new license once the partnership dissolves.  

See "Forms and Downloads" if additional resources are needed to complete the renewal or see our FAQ's.

Retirement (Temporary Inactive Status)

Contractors who are not currently working, may place the license in "Retirement" in lieu of renewing, to retain renewal rights (renewal rights expire after 12 months). Retirement may be on an annual basis; biennial basis; retired with a maximum of seven (7) consecutive years; or as long as the license has an active status, it may be retired anytime by providing the $25.00 retirement fee for each year.

  • A contractor may place their active license into retirement, anytime after renewing the license (such as, due to canceling insurance while not working) or prior to the license expiring;
  • If the contractor's license has expired (less than 12 months), they may retire by submitting the renewal and lates fees; plus the retirement fee.  The insurance and financial statement is not required to place a license in retirement.
  • Contractors with a "Retirement" status are considered "Inactive" and not licensed to perform work in an amount where a license is required;

Contractors may take the license out of retirement any time by completing the renewal. If bringing a contractor's license out of retirement during the second year of the renewal cycle, the law does not provide a means to waive one year of the renewal fee. For example, a license with an expiration date of 3/31/2012 (2012 Renewal) was retired on March 1, 2012 for two years with a retired expiration date of 3/31/2014, then if the license is reactivated on June 1, 2013, the contractor would be required to pay the 2012 renewal fees ($200) when bringing out of retirement and the license expiration date would remain the same as 3/31/2014 (after renewing the 2012 renewal).  However, if you place the license in retirement after renewing the license, you would not be required to repay renewal fees or resubmit the financial statement, insurance, etc., since they were supplied earlier with the renewal.

Revisions/Amendments/Changes to Existing License

LICENSE REVISION REQUESTS (Most Require Board Review - Deadline date to provide to the Board office is within a reasonable time prior to the next regularly occurring meeting of the Board.)

  1. Add Classification Request Form (Add classifications onto existing license)
  2. Increase Monetary Limit (Raise limit on license)
  3. Mode of Operation Change - Transfer
  4. Name Change Application (Change name on license)
  5. Qualifying Agent (QA) Add / Change Request (Add or remove a Qualifying Agent)

Deadline Date for License Revision Requests:
Within a reasonable time prior to the next Board meeting (requests requiring Board approval). See "Public Meetings Calendar" for dates. Board Approval required for the following revisions: Adding a Classification; Increase Monetary Limit; Name Change; and Mode of Operation Change (transfers). An interview is not required, unless, there are complaints or felony convictions.  These four (4) types of license revision requests must be approved by the Board at their regularly scheduled meetings. Staff must receive within a reasonable time prior to the Board meeting to have in time to process (review, audit, copy for members, add to meeting books, etc.). Please allow an additional 5 to 7 days for mailing any revision requests. Those needing a license revised prior to the Board's next meeting may qualify as a "Hardship" (request for early/emergency review) if attending the regular scheduled meeting would cause an undue hardship on the applicant and be in the best interest of the public safety and welfare.

**Note: Do not contract until the license "Revision" or new license has been approved**