Tennessee Do Not Call Consumer FAQs
What is the Do Not Call program?
The Do Not Call program was established in 1999 by the Tennessee General Assembly. Under the direction of the Tennessee Public Utility Commission (TPUC), the program's goal is the elimination of unnecessary and unwanted telemarketing calls.
Who may participate in the program?
The Do Not Call program is available to residential telephone subscribers of Tennessee only. Business numbers may not be registered in the program; however, cell phones used for non-commercial purposes may be registered.
Is there any cost to me?
No. The program is free to all residential telephone customers.
As a residential telephone subscriber, how do I register?
Registration is easy! Consumers wishing to take part in the program may register directly with the TPUC via the Internet (see Related Links at the end of this page), or by calling from your home 1-877-872-7030. After you complete this step, you are a registered participant in the Do Not Call program.
After I register, what happens next?
Your part is done! After you register your telephone number, the information will be compiled and stored in a database that contains the telephone numbers of all program participants. The collected data will remain confidential and will only be used in conjunction with operation of the Do Not Call program.
Effective July 1, 2006, your number will be in effect 30 days from the end of the month in which you registered.
For example: A person who registered their number on July 1st would go into effect on September 1st.
How long will my name remain on the register?
Your name will remain on the register until you request the TPUC to remove your name or when your telephone number is disconnected.
What if I change telephone numbers?
If you change telephone numbers and wish to remain a participant of the Do Not Call program, it will be necessary for you to register your new telephone number in the program.
If I want to have my number(s) removed from the register, who should I contact?
To have your telephone number(s) removed from the Do Not Call list you may contact us by calling 1-800-342-8359 or by writing to:
Tennessee Public Utility Commission
502 Deaderick Street, 4th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
Please include your name, address and the telephone number(s) you wish to have removed from the program.
Will the Tennessee Do Not Call program stop all telemarketing calls?
The program should stop most telemarketing calls. There are, however, a few conditions under which a telemarketer may call:
- With your permission or by invitation.
- Calls made by or on behalf of non-profit organizations (provided that an employee or member of the organization is making the call).
- The "business-to-consumer call", provided that a business transaction with the consumer has occurred over the previous 12 months. Examples may include calls from the family dentist, a pest control company, or a credit card company.
- The occasional telemarketing call - provided that the business does not make more than three random telemarketing calls per calendar week and the call is not part of a telemarketing business plan.
- Calls from political candidates or other political telemarketing is not covered by this program. The First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees free speech, and while the U.S. Supreme Court allows the regulation of commercial speech, it provides much greater protection from government regulation of political speech.
Does the Do Not Call program cover calls from collection agencies?
No. A call from a collection agency is not considered to be a solicitation.
What if I receive a telemarketing call after my name is placed on the list?
Who should I contact to file a complaint?
The TPUC provides enforcement of the Do Not Call program. Violations should be reported to the TPUC Consumer Services and External Affairs Division at 1-800-342-8359.