Telecommunications Devices Access Programs (TDAP)
The Telecommunications Devices Access Program ("TDAP") is established by Chapter 417 of the Public Acts of 1999 (the "ACT"). In accordance with the Act, the program is designed to distribute appropriate telecommunications devices so that persons who have a disability may effectively use basic telephone service. The Tennessee Public Utility Commission was given the responsibility and authority to implement and manage this program.
Devices are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. However, there are certain qualifiers that might enable individuals to receive devices on a priority basis. Applicants can refer to the minimum eligibility requirements or view the rules of the Tennessee Public Utility Commission, chapter 1220-4-10 at the TN SOS.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be permanent residents of the State of Tennessee.
- Applicants must have a disability such that the person cannot use the telephone effectively without the use of an assistive device. The condition(s) must be verified by a Tennessee licensed physician.
- Only one assistive device per household will be awarded through the TDAP. The Program Coordinator may make the determination that two different devices are needed in the event there is another person in the household with a different need.
- Applicants must be able to use the device or accept appropriate training prior to issue of a device.
- Once an applicant receives a device the applicant becomes responsible for any necessary repairs. Extended repair times may qualify the applicant for a loaned replacement until repairs are completed. The applicant must coordinate with the Program Coordinator for this arrangement.
- The applicant will remain responsible for all telephone billing and any peripheral items needed for the device, i.e., paper, batteries, etc.
- Rule 1220-4-10 has been adopted by the Authority and signed by the Secretary Of State and will be effective on February 5, 2000.
- Applications are being accepted. Please mail it to:
Tennessee Public Utility Commission
502 Deaderick Street 4th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243