The Codes Enforcement section enforces statewide adopted fire and building construction safety codes and standards to afford a reasonable degree of safety to life and property from fire and hazards incident to the design, construction, alteration, and repair of buildings or structures.
- State Codes Adoption & History [pdf] *Updated April 12th, 2021*
- When Plans Submittal Is Required [pdf]
- Plans Submittal Requirements [pdf]
- Plans Review Fee Calculator [pdf]
- Fee Schedule [pdf]
- Exempt Jurisdictions [pdf]
- Submit Plans Review Projects Online
- Search for the Plans Review Status of a Project
- Plans Submittal Portal Application Guide [pdf]
- Electronic Plans Submittal Preferences [pdf]
- Rules for Review of Construction Plans and Specifications [Rule 0780-2-3]
- Rules for Adopted Codes and Standards [Rule 0780-2-2]
- Statute for Statewide Building Construction Safety Standards (LexisNexis) [TCA 68-120-101]
- Hand Sanitizer and Drills Guidance for Schools [pdf]
- Head-of-wall joints, types of sprinkler systems, portal updates (May 2022)
- Existing Building Code, Seismic Requirements (August 2021)
- Exempt jurisdictions, Tennessee’s code history (May 2020)
- Wedding barns, COVID-19 update (August 2020)
- Sprinkler success story, architect requirements (March 2021)
- Another sprinkler success, occupancy loads, fire stopping vs. fire blocking (June 2021)
Click here to sign up for our quarterly Codes Enforcement newsletter!
Some files are Adobe Reader® Files [pdf], 6.0 or higher. You may need to DOWNLOAD a free copy of Adobe Reader® to view these files.