Landfill Operators Certification Training Program
Landfill Operators Continuing Education
The TDEC's Division of Solid Waste Management (DSWM) is sponsoring a training class for Certified Landfill Operators on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at the Fleming Training Center in Murfreesboro. This is a one-day, eight-hour classroom course. It is designed with the on-site operator in mind, and includes instruction on landfill equipment, odor control strategies, leachate management, storm water management and safety. It will also include a Solid Waste Program Update presentation by TDEC staff.
This class is being conducted by Joyce Engineering. Visit joyceengineering.com/tennessee to register online. For questions about registering, contact Joyce Engineering by email at OpTrain@JoyceEngineering.com or call (800) 229-1182. If you cannot register online, download the registration form in PDF and return it to Joyce Engineering by email, fax, or mail. The class will be limited to a maximum of fifty (50) attendees. Register early to reserve your place at the event.
30-Hour Landfill Operator Certification Training
The 2018 “30-hour” Landfill Operators Certification Training (LOCT) class will be held March 26 - 29, 2018 at Montgomery Bell State Park in Burns, Tennessee. The 2018 class is comprised of three (3) days of classroom instruction and a fourth day when each new landfill operator will take an examination to achieve certification in the State of Tennessee. Any certified operators who have not obtained the 24 credit hours required for recertification and whose certifications will expire this year will need to attend this class and take the examination. Online registration will be available in fall of 2017.
If you need further details on the 2018 basic training class and/or status information of your Tennessee certification (including the number of credit hours earned), please contact Travis Danker at email@example.com or call (615) 532-0845.
Please see the Solid Waste Inspections page for information regarding the State Uniform Inspection Training (S.U.I.T.) offerings. Attendees will learn basic skills to help with landfill inspections and the associated regulations, while earning 8.0 credit hours.
A certified Landfill Operator must be present at a municipal solid waste landfill during all hours of operation. A person interested in obtaining a Landfill Operator certification must take training provided by Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) and pass an examination conducted by TDEC. The details regarding the training and certification requirements can be found in TDEC Rule 0400-11-01-.12. The following is additional information regarding the certification program:
- Currently, a basic training class and certification examination are provided by TDEC once a year in the spring (usually in April) in the central Tennessee area. In addition, TDEC provides two (2) eight-hour training opportunities in the fall of each year for certified landfill operators, typically in Oak Ridge and Jackson.
- TDEC's landfill operators certification training program consists of three (3) days of classroom instruction (including a field trip) and a final exam on the fourth day. Those landfill operators taking the exam must achieve at least a score of 70 (out of 100 points) to be certified. Topics that are covered during the three (3) days include: Tennessee Solid Waste Management Regulations, Landfill Math, Landfill Plans, Landfill Operations, Surveying, Waste Acceptance/Random Inspections, Groundwater Monitoring, Landfill Gas Management, Erosion Control, Liners & Leachate Collection, Closure & Post Closure, and Compliance Inspections & Recordkeeping.
- The certification for Landfill Operators is valid for three years. To be recertified, a Landfill Operator must obtain 24 hours of TDEC approved training during this three-year period.
- There is reciprocity for those Landfill Operators holding SWANA certification. A Tennessee certificate will be issued with the same expiration date as the SWANA certificate.
In addition to the basic training (3-day class) provided by TDEC in the spring of each year, TDEC recognizes the following training opportunities in order for a Certified Landfill Operator to obtain the 24 hours for re-certification:
- The Solid Waste Sessions held at the Environmental Show of the South each spring
- Tennessee Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Training and Certification Program (includes Level I certification and Level II certification training classes). Training course information can be obtained from the following website: www.tnepsc.org.
- Level I Recertification - Tennessee Erosion Prevention and Sediment Control Program. Recertification training course information can be obtained from the following website: www.tnepsc.org.
- The 8-hour Landfill Operators Continuing Education classes for certified landfill operators offered each year in October, usually conducted by Joyce Engineering
- The State Uniform Inspection Training Program just created for 8-hours of continuing education credit