TDOT Weekly Construction Report for West Tennessee, January 10th - 16th, 2013
West Tennessee Construction
January 10-17, 2013
BENTON COUNTY I-40: All lanes are open at this time. Work will resume in the Spring of 2013.
Resurfacing beginning east of SR-191 (approximately mile marker 131) and extending to west of the Tennessee River on I-40 near Birdsong Road (approximately mile marker 134) at the Tennessee River Bridge.
BENTON COUNTY SR-147: Bridge repair work over Sugar Creek at log mile 0.27 will cause a reduction of lanes in both directions from two lanes to one. There will be an 11’ width restriction throughout the duration of the project. Closures will be handled by a temporary traffic signal.
CHESTER COUNTY SR-22: Bridge repair work will cause State Route 22 at log mile 3.91 to be reduced to one lane over Middleton Creek. A signal system has been installed to direct traffic until bridge repairs are complete,
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-57: Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 57 including construction of a bridge over Norfolk Southern Railroad. Traffic is now on the new bridge, mainline is OPEN.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-76: Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 76 over Overflow and North Fork Wolf River for construction of 2 bridges. Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 76 for construction of a bridge over Overflow and a box bridge over Branch. Traffic is controlled with a temporary signal and is reduced to one lane in each direction.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-194: Six (6) bridges are being replaced on State Route 194 between State Route 57 and State Route 15 (US-64). Construction has begun on all segments of this project. This will cause a reduction in lanes from two to one every day by the use of temporary signals at the Wolf River and overflow bridges. Construction activities are completed at two of the bridges log mile 8.51 & 9.27. Motorists should watch for construction vehicles entering and exiting the work zones.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-194: Four (4) bridges are being replaced on State Route 194 between State Route 15 (US-64) and State Route 59. Both lanes of traffic are open with no width restriction. Motorists should watch for construction vehicle entering and exiting the work zones.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-76: (Recovery Act Project) Intermittent lane closures northbound and southbound may occur in various locations throughout the project. Motorists are advised to travel with extreme caution.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-104: A widening project from west of State Route 188 to Milligan Lane and Gumwoods Road will result in temporary lane closures each day. Traffic has been shifted from east of State Route 188 to the proposed eastbound lanes. Utility work is ongoing. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-185: Bridge repair work on State Route 185 over WTNN Railroad has the northbound lane currently closed and being controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-445: A bridge replacement project on State Route 445 over Branch, including grade, drain and paving. This section of SR-445 is closed to through traffic for the duration of the project. A detour is provided from near China Grove Road to near State Route 43.
HARDEMAN COUNTY, SR-15: A widening project between East of Margin Street to near Hornsby Loop Road will result in a lane shift during the week. Grading work is in progress on south side of State Route 15. Traffic has been shifted to the proposed west bound lanes. Utility work is in progress.
HARDIN COUNTY, SR-15: Bridge repair work on State Route 15 (US-64) over the Tennessee River will result in lane closures eastbound and westbound each day, for the duration of this project. The roadway will be down to one lane in each direction.
HENDERSON COUNTY, SR-20: A widening project on State Route 20 (US-412) from State Route 114 to the Decatur County Line will result in temporary lane closures every day. All traffic has been shifted to westbound lanes throughout the project. Wallace Road, Boren Road and Union Baptist are now OPEN. Flagmen will be present. Motorists are advised to use caution when going through a construction project.
HENRY COUNTY, SR-76 (US-79): Installation of a new walking bridge over Tyson Avenue. The bridge will be located between the current HCMC entrance and the new Bethel/HCMC facility. This section will be CLOSED starting January 07, 2013 until February 04, 2013. Detour route will be posted along US-641 to State Route 356 (East Wood Street). Alternate truck detour will be posted along State Route 218.
LAKE COUNTY, SR-22: A widening project on State Route 22, south of State Route 21 in Tiptonville to existing State Route 22 (Cates Landing Rd.). Contractor is forming and pouring headwall and catchbasins. Motorists are advised to use caution when going through a construction project.
LAKE/OBION COUNTY, Reelfoot Lake on SR-21: All work at this time is on the spillway structure. Crews are now engaged in resubmission and reiteration of the hoist assembly.
MADISON COUNTY, I-40 between Mile Marker 78-Mile Marker 79:
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: Daytime bridge repair work over the West TN Railroad is ongoing. The contractor will be working behind the barrier rail, near Exit 79. Outside 10’ shoulder of I-40 in westbound direction is closed. Lane shift and inside shoulder closed, speed limit reduced to 60MPH, in eastbound direction, while bridge repairs are performed.
MCNAIRY COUNTY, SR-224: Grading, drainage, construction of a box beam bridge and paving on State Route 224 over Melton Creek. Roadway is OPEN to traffic. Flagmen will be present daily. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
MCNAIRY COUNTY, SR-224: Grading, drainage, construction of two (2) box beam bridges and paving on State Route 224 over Owl Creek, Lick Creek and Clarey Creek. Roadway is OPEN to traffic at Owl Creek and Clarey Creek. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
OBION COUNTY, Future I-69: Grading, drainage, construction of 9 bridges, and paving on Future I-69 south of State Route 5/State Route 22 to west of State Route 21. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-55: Grading, drainage, paving at the existing Welcome Center. Welcome Center is CLOSED.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-55 at Mallory Avenue:
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: There will be intermittent lane closures southbound and northbound, inside and outside lanes, (MM 9.0 to MM 8.0), for final striping and texture coating of the median barrier wall. Two southbound and two northbound lanes will remain open. Exit 9 (Mallory Exit) is OPEN to traffic.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-40 Bridge over MS River Phase 8:
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: The left (inside) shoulder of Ramp J, the exit ramp for westbound Interstate 40 to Second Street, will be closed for about six months. Ramp J will remain open at all times. In addition, the left (inside) shoulder of Ramp B, the exit ramp for westbound Interstate 40 to Riverside Drive, will also be closed for about three to four months. Ramp B will remain open at all times. Work includes: backfilling of footing at IL-12 (on the bank of the Wolf River Basin), installation of structural steel and pier cap construction along Ramps D and NO, backfill and compaction and installation of curbs, gutters and sidewalks along Ramps IL and D, installation of CIDH piles under the main line between Main Street and Third Street, and construction of new footings, retrofitting columns and pier caps on the main line between Main Street and Third Street.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-40 Bridge over MS River Phase 9:
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: Contractor has closed the outer most lane of the eastbound side of Interstate 40. The closure is located from approximately station 181+00 to 211+00. The closure is required for safe access and egress for seismic retrofit on the Arkansas approach of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge. Contractor is reconstructing foundations, columns and pier caps under the bridge approach structure. The lane closure is anticipated to remain in place until December 2013.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-240 North of SR-385 to North of Walnut Grove Rd.:
Grading, drainage, and paving on I-240. Installation and construction of walls continue. Traffic has been switched to new temporary exit ramp on EB 240 to travel Walnut Grove. Intermittent lane closures will occur throughout the project. Caissons and posts for Noise Wall 2 from Walnut Grove south to retaining wall 7 B have been installed. Panel installation should begin within the next week for this Noise Wall. Wall 4B moment slab is currently under construction. Back slope behind Noise Wall 1 above Retaining Wall 5 is currently under construction and should be permanently stabilized within the next week. Retaining Wall 7B is 75% complete with the exception of Moment Slab. Wall 8 on WB 240 is 60% complete. Excavation for wall 14 on WB 240 south of Park has been completed and the installation of Wall 14 has begun. Clearing for Wall 10 and 11 on WB 240 north of Poplar has been completed. Electrical contractor has relocated IT system south of Shady Grove @ Sta.631 to 624 of WB 240. Electrical contractor is to begin boring for electrical lines for High Mast lighting within the week-weather permitting. Drainage structures are continuing to be installed on EB 240. Motorist are advised to travel with caution.
- Friday January 11 & Saturday January 12, 8:00 p. m.-11:00 a. m.: There will be temporary lane closures eastbound and westbound I-240 (MM 13.0 to MM 16.0), for re-striping of lanes and the installation of temporary raised pavement markers. One lane will remain open.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR-1 (US-51, Danny Thomas Blvd.) over I-40:
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: Bridge repair work over I-40 in Memphis at log mile 3.11. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR-57 (US-72 Poplar Ave.) Miller Farms Rd. to Dogwood Rd.
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: Intermittent lane closures will be used as needed on eastbound and westbound Poplar Avenue/SR-57 between Riverdale (MM 11.0) and Kimbrough (MM 13.0). A section of the westbound outside lane will be closed between Farinfold and Brierbrook due to MLG&W’s gas line relocation. At times, the middle westbound lane may be closed, depending on MLG&W’s needs. Also, intermittent lane closures will be used as needed on NB/SB Germantown Road/SR-177 and NB/SB West Street (SR-177)/Farmington. One lane will remain open in each direction.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR-86 (US-72):
Grading, drainage and paving on State Route 86 (US-72) for a widening project that includes construction of a box beam bridge, north of Quinn Road to State Route 57 (Poplar Avenue) in Collierville. On June 04, Sycamore Road at State Route 86/US-72 was closed but with access for residence on Sycamore Road from East Shelby Drive. A detour route is posted.
SHELBY COUNTY SR-14 -Bridge Repair over Industrial Ave. & ICRR and Overflow
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: The northbound lane on SR-14 (Third Street) will be down to two lanes and one lane in the southbound direction between the intersection with Mallory Avenue and the I-55 junction. Northbound traffic will be in the two inside southbound lanes. Southbound traffic will be closed to one lane and shifted onto the outside southbound lane.
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: There may be intermittent lane or shoulder closures as the contractor finishes minor work items on State Route 3 (US-51).
SHELBY COUNTY - US-61 (SR-14) beginning at South Parkway and extending to McLemore Avenue, & bridge over the Illinois Central Railroad
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: This section of roadway was CLOSED August 15, 2012. Northbound traffic has been diverted east along South Parkway, North onto Latham and West along McLemore. Third Street has been reduced to one lane in each direction south of McLemore approaching the bridge at which point, southbound Third Street is diverted east along Lucy Street, South along Latham and West onto South Parkway. Motorist may also utilize Florida Street in lieu of (which parallels Latham) Latham. Also, Patton Street on the south side of South Parkway is CLOSED. Railroad to the concrete channel. Dement's subcontractor has started demolition of the bridge on the south end of the project and Shelby Electric has removed light poles off the bridge. Parsons suggested and installed Florida Street as a truck route because of the difficulties with the turning radii along the Latham Street Detour. Parsons has suggested a minor change to eastbound McLemore due to truck traffic making a left turn on to northbound Third Street. The City of Memphis increased the timing for the eastbound traffic and that seems to be sufficient at this time. Biggs, the subcontractor performing the bridge demolition which is working 95% complete. Parson's is contacting the City of Memphis Sewer Division concerning the sewer line conflict with the bridge footing. The City is prepared to reroute the sewer when it becomes necessary. Ferrell is preparing to install new box culvert at the concrete channel.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR 385:
Between State Route 57 and State Route 193, grading, drainage, and bridge construction on State Route 385 from State Route 57 Poplar Ave. in Piperton to State Route 193 Macon Rd. in Fisherville. The contractor is currently finishing work on this project. Trucks maybe entering the highway in the area of State Route 193 (Macon Road) and State Route 385 intersection. Motorists are advised to travel with caution through construction projects.
SHELBY COUNTY -Geotechnology I-240/I-40 Interchange
- Wednesday January 02 through Thursday January 10, 7 p. m.-6 a. m.: There will be temporary lane closures I-40 eastbound from Wolf River Bridge to Sycamore View (I-40 EB MM 11B2 to I-40 EB MM 12.0), for soil test borings.
- Thursday January 10 through Tuesday January 15, 7 p. m.-6 a. m.: There will be temporary lane closures I-240 northbound/ramp I-240 eastbound (I-240E MM 13.0 to I-40E 11B2), for soil test borings.
TDOT REGION 4 On-Call Guardrail
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16, 8:00 p. m-6:00 a. m.: There will be night time lane closures at the following locations, for the repair of damaged guardrail.
- I-40, Shelby County eastbound (MM 11.0 to MM 12.0), one lane will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closure of I-40 eastbound ramp to I-40 eastbound (Exit 12C) @ the I-40/I-240 east interchange.
- I-240, Shelby County northbound & southbound (MM 21.0 to MM 26.0), two lanes will remain open.
- I-240, Shelby County northbound (MM 26.0 to MM 27.0), two lanes will remain open.
- I-55, Shelby County northbound and southbound (MM 4.0 to MM 5.5), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closure at I-55 southbound at Exit 5A “Off” ramp.
- I-55, Shelby County northbound (MM 5.0 to MM 6.0), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closure at I-55 Exit 6A “Off” ramp.
- SR-385, Shelby County, westbound and eastbound (MM 11.50 to MM 13.0), two lanes will remain open.
- Wednesday January 09 through Wednesday January 16: There will be possible lane closures at various locations in Region IV in order to patch potholes on an as needed basis.
TIPTON COUNTY SR-384:
Construction of a concrete box beam bridge over drainage ditch log mile 7.08, including grading, drainage, and paving. Temporary traffic light was turned on November 26, 2012 and will remain on until completion of project. The northbound lane will be CLOSED. There will be one 11’ lane on bridge.
For more information on TDOT road construction projects or to view travel conditions visit the TDOT SmartWay Information System web site (http://www.tn.gov/tdot/tdotsmartway/). Motorists can also dial 511 from any land-line or cellular phone to access up to date traffic conditions. TDOT is also now on Twitter. For up to date traffic tweets for the Jackson & Memphis areas follow Memphis511 (http://twitter.com/memphis511). For statewide traffic information follow TN511 (http://twitter.com/TN511). Also, for smart phone users, TDOT has a new mobile site that provides simple and easy access to TDOT's SmartWay cameras, message boards, accident information, and construction information. Go to: http://m.tdot.tn.gov/SmartWay/
Motorists are reminded to use all motorist information tools responsibly. Drivers should refrain from texting, tweeting or using a mobile phone while operating a vehicle. TDOT advises drivers to “Know before you go!” by checking traffic conditions before leaving for your destination. All scheduled work is subject to change due to adverse weather conditions or other conditions beyond the control of the contractor.