Skip to Main Content

HHW Mobile Collection Service in Bedford, Coffee, Dyer and Washington on April 21

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 | 12:17pm
NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation’s mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Bedford, Coffee, Dyer and Washington counties on April 21. 
“Our household hazardous waste mobile collection service provides the people of Tennessee with a safe, environmentally friendly way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals and other potentially hazardous wastes at no cost,” said Environment and Conservation Commissioner Bob Martineau.  “This service travels across the state holding collection events in local communities, and we encourage all Tennesseans to take advantage of the opportunity to utilize it.”
On Saturday, April 21, any Tennessee resident may bring his or her household hazardous waste to the following locations.  (Note that hours listed indicate the local time for events.)
·       Bedford County – Big Springs parking lot at 108 Lane Parkway in Shelbyville from 8 a.m. to noon.  The local contact for this HHW collection event is Gay Ervin at (931) 684-5971.   
·       Coffee County – Solid Waste Department at 2180 Murfreesboro Highway in Manchester from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.  The local contact for this HHW collection event is Wannella Ingleburger at (931) 723-5139. 
·       Dyer County – Dyersburg Public Works Department at 435 Highway 51 Bypass from 8 a.m. until noon.  The local contact for this HHW collection event is Ersley McLemore at (731) 286-0047. 
·       Washington County – Daniel Boone High School at 1440 Suncrest Drive in Gray from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Charles Baines at (423) 753-1652. 
Since the program’s inception in 1993, households have properly disposed of more than 20 million pounds of material.  HHW material is considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage.
Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent bulbs, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals and paint thinner.  Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics, medical waste and any items from a school, commercial business or agri-business.
Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE as it is sometimes called.  When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events.  Contact your local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in your area.
When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets.  Materials should be kept in the original container whenever possible.  If not, place the waste in a plastic jug with a secure lid and label its contents.
For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit

Press Releases | Environment & Conservation