West Tennessee Construction December 12-19, 2012
BENTON COUNTY I-40: All lanes are open at this time. Work will resume in the Spring of 2013.
Resurfacing beginning east of SR-191 (approximately mile marker 131) and extending to west of the Tennessee River on I-40 near Birdsong Road (approximately mile marker 134) at the Tennessee River Bridge.
BENTON COUNTY SR-147: Bridge repair work over Sugar Creek at log mile 0.27 will cause a reduction of lanes in both directions from two lanes to one. There will be an 11’ width restriction throughout the duration of the project. Closures will be handled by a temporary traffic signal.
CHESTER COUNTY SR-22: Bridge repair work will cause State Route 22 at log mile 3.91 to be reduced to one lane over Middleton Creek. A signal system has been installed to direct traffic until bridge repairs are complete,
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-57: Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 57 including construction of a bridge over Norfolk Southern Railroad. Traffic is now on the new bridge, mainline is OPEN.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-76: Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 76 over Overflow and North Fork Wolf River for construction of 2 bridges. Grading, drainage, and paving on State Route 76 for construction of a bridge over Overflow and a box bridge over Branch. Traffic is controlled with a temporary signal and is reduced to one lane in each direction.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-194: Six (6) bridges are being replaced on State Route 194 between State Route 57 and State Route 15 (US-64). Construction has begun on all segments of this project. This will cause a reduction in lanes from two to one every day by the use of temporary signals at the Wolf River and overflow bridges. Construction activities are completed at two of the bridges log mile 8.51 & 9.27. Motorists should watch for construction vehicles entering and exiting the work zones.
FAYETTE COUNTY SR-194: Four (4) bridges are being replaced on State Route 194 between State Route 15 (US-64)
and State Route 59. Both lanes of traffic are open with no width restriction. Motorists should watch for construction vehicle entering and exiting the work zones.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-76: (Recovery Act Project) Intermittent lane closures northbound and southbound may occur in various locations throughout the project. Motorists are advised to travel with extreme caution.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-104: A widening project from west of State Route 188 to Milligan Lane and Gumwoods Road will result in temporary lane closures each day. Traffic has been shifted from east of State Route 188 to the proposed eastbound lanes. Utility work is ongoing. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-185: Bridge repair work on State Route 185 over WTNN Railroad has the southbound lane currently closed and being controlled by a temporary traffic signal.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-186: A six (6) bridge replacement project over Hog Creek, Parker Branch, and Branches are now OPEN, with possible temporary lane closures each day. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
GIBSON COUNTY, SR-445: A bridge replacement project on State Route 445 over Branch, including grade, drain and paving. This section of SR-445 is closed to through traffic for the duration of the project. A detour is provided from near China Grove Road to near State Route 43.
HARDEMAN COUNTY, SR-15: A widening project between East of Margin Street to near Hornsby Loop Road will result in a lane shift during the week. Grading work is in progress on south side of State Route 15. Traffic has been shifted to the proposed west bound lanes. Utility work is in progress.
HARDIN COUNTY, SR-15: Bridge repair work on State Route 15 (US-64) over the Tennessee River will result in lane closures eastbound and westbound each day, for the duration of this project. The roadway will be down to one lane in each direction.
HENDERSON COUNTY, SR-20: A widening project on State Route 20 (US-412) from State Route 114 to the Decatur County Line will result in temporary lane closures every day. All traffic has been shifted to westbound lanes throughout the project. Wallace Road, Boren Road and Union Baptist are now OPEN. Flagmen will be present. Motorists are advised to use caution when going through a construction project.
LAKE COUNTY, SR-22: A widening project on State Route 22, south of State Route 21 in Tiptonville to existing State Route 22 (Cates Landing Rd.). There will temporary lane closures to allow for roadway construction. Flagmen will be present and directing traffic. Motorists are advised to use caution when going through a construction project.
LAKE/OBION COUNTY, Reelfoot Lake on SR-21: All work at this time is on the spillway structure. Crews are now engaged in resubmission and reiteration of the hoist assembly.
MADISON COUNTY, I-40 between Mile Marker 78-Mile Marker 79:
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19: Daytime bridge repair work over the West TN Railroad is ongoing. The contractor will be working behind the barrier rail. Both 10’ shoulders of I-40 will be CLOSED in each direction, while bridge repairs are being performed.
MCNAIRY COUNTY, SR-224: Grading, drainage, construction of a box beam bridge and paving on State Route 224 over Melton Creek. Roadway is OPEN to traffic. Flagmen will be present daily. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
MCNAIRY COUNTY, SR-224: Grading, drainage, construction of two (2) box beam bridges and paving on State Route 224 over Owl Creek, Lick Creek and Clarey Creek. Roadway is OPEN to traffic at Owl Creek and Clarey Creek. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
OBION COUNTY, Future I-69: Grading, drainage, construction of 9 bridges, and paving on Future I-69 south of State Route 5/State Route 22 to west of State Route 21. Motorists are advised to travel with caution.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-55: Grading, drainage, paving at the existing Welcome Center. Welcome Center is CLOSED.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-55 at Mallory Avenue:
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p. m.: There will be intermittent lane closures southbound and northbound (MM 9.0 to MM 8.0), for paving inside and outside shoulders. Two southbound and two northbound lanes will remain open. Exit 9 Mallory Exit is OPEN to traffic.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-40 Bridge over MS River Phase 8:
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19: The left (inside) shoulder of Ramp J, the exit ramp for westbound Interstate 40 to Second Street, will be closed for about six months. Ramp J will remain open at all times. Work includes: backfilling of footing at IL-12 (on the bank of the Wolf River Basin), installation of structural steel and pier cap construction along Ramps D and NO, backfill and compaction and installation of curbs, gutters and sidewalks along Ramps IL and D, installation of CIDH piles under the main line between Main Street and Third Street, and construction of new footings, retrofitting columns and pier caps on the main line between Main Street and Third Street.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-40 Bridge over MS River Phase 9:
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19: Contractor has closed the outer most lane of the eastbound side of Interstate 40. The closure is located from approximately station 181+00 to 211+00. The closure is required for safe access and egress for seismic retrofit on the Arkansas approach of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge. Contractor is reconstructing foundations, columns and pier caps under the bridge approach structure. The lane closure is anticipated to remain in place until December 2013.
SHELBY COUNTY, I-240 North of SR-385 to North of Walnut Grove Rd.: Grading, drainage, and paving on I-240. Installation and construction of walls continue. Traffic has been switched to new temporary exit ramp on EB 240 to travel Walnut Grove. Intermittent lane closures will occur throughout the project. Caissons and posts for Noise Wall 2 from Walnut Grove south to retaining wall 7 B have been installed. Panel installation should begin within the next week for this Noise Wall. Wall 4B moment slab is currently under construction. Back slope behind Noise Wall 1 above Retaining Wall 5 is currently under construction and should be permanently stabilized within the next week. Retaining Wall 7B is 75% complete with the exception of Moment Slab. Wall 8 on WB 240 is 60% complete. Excavation for wall 14 on WB 240 south of Park has been completed and the installation of Wall 14 has begun. Clearing for Wall 10 and 11 on WB 240 north of Poplar has been completed. Electrical contractor has relocated IT system south of Shady Grove @ Sta.631 to 624 of WB 240. Electrical contractor is to begin boring for electrical lines for High Mast lighting within the week-weather permitting. Drainage structures are continuing to be installed on EB 240. Motorist are advised to travel with caution.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR-57 (US-72 Poplar Ave.) Miller Farms Rd. to Dogwood Rd.
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19: Intermittent lane closures will be used as needed on eastbound and westbound Poplar Avenue/SR-57 between Riverdale (MM 11.0) and Kimbrough (MM 13.0). A section of the westbound outside lane will be closed between Brierbrook and Dogwood due to needed repairs that have arisen in the existing lanes since it was milled. MLG&W is currently working on the westbound outside lane between Brierbrook and Dogwood, but will also have the middle lane closed for their gas line relocation. At least one lane will remain open. Also, intermittent lane closures will be used as needed on NB/SB Germantown Road/SR-177 and NB/SB West Street (SR-177)/Farmington. One lane will remain open in each direction.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR-86 (US-72): Grading, drainage and paving on State Route 86 (US-72) for a widening project that includes construction of a box beam bridge, north of Quinn Road to State Route 57 (Poplar Avenue) in Collierville. On June 4, Sycamore Road at State Route 86/US-72 was closed but with access for residence on Sycamore Road from East Shelby Drive. A detour route was posted.
SHELBY COUNTY SR-14 -Bridge Repair over Industrial Ave. & ICRR and Overflow
• Wednesday December 12 through Tuesday December 19: The northbound lane on SR-14 (Third Street) will be down to two lanes and one lane in the southbound direction between the intersection with Mallory Avenue and the I-55 junction. Northbound traffic will be in the two inside southbound lanes. Southbound traffic will be closed to one lane and shifted onto the outside southbound lane.
• Wednesday December 12 through Tuesday December 19: There may be intermittent lane or shoulder closures as the contractor finishes minor work items on SR-3(US-51).
SHELBY COUNTY - US-61 (SR-14) beginning at South Parkway and extending to McLemore Avenue, & bridge over the Illinois Central Railroad
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19: This section of roadway was CLOSED August 15, 2012. Northbound traffic has been diverted east along South Parkway, North onto Latham and West along McLemore. Third Street has been reduced to one lane in each direction south of McLemore approaching the bridge at which point, southbound Third Street is diverted east along Lucy Street, South along Latham and West onto South Parkway. Motorist may also utilize Florida Street in lieu of (which parallels Latham) Latham. Also, Patton Street on the south side of South Parkway is CLOSED. Railroad to the concrete channel. Dement's Subcontractor has started demolition of the bridge on the south end of the project and Shelby Electric has removed light poles off the bridge. Parsons suggested and installed Florida Street as a truck route because of the difficulties with the turning radii along the Latham Street Detour. Parsons has suggested a minor change to eastbound McLemore due to truck traffic making a left turn on to northbound Third Street. The City of Memphis increased the timing for the eastbound traffic and that seems to be sufficient at this time. Biggs, the subcontractor performing the bridge demolition is working on the east side from the Railroad to the concrete channel. Dement & Biggs have now submitted a demo plan over the railroad. Dement has some steel framework designed to fit over the tracks. Parson's is contacting the City of Memphis Sewer Division concerning the sewer line conflict with the bridge footing.
SHELBY COUNTY, SR 385: Between State Route 57 and State Route 193, grading, drainage, and bridge construction on State Route 385 from State Route 57 Poplar Ave. in Piperton to State Route 193 Macon Rd. in Fisherville. The contractor is currently finishing work on this project. Trucks may be entering the highway in the area of State Route 193 (Macon Road) and State Route 385 intersection. Motorists are advised to travel with caution through construction projects.
TDOT REGION 4 On-Call Guardrail
Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19, 8:00 p. m-6:00 a. m.: There will be night time lane closures at the following locations, for the repair of damaged guardrail.
• I-40, Shelby County eastbound and westbound (MM 1A.5 to MM 2.5), two lanes will remain open.
• I-240, Shelby County southbound (MM 28.0 to MM 28.5), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closures at Exit 28B “Off” ramp, on I-240 southbound.
• I-240, Shelby County southbound (MM 19.5 to MM 21.0), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closures on I-240 westbound “Off” ramp to Exit 20/Getwell Avenue.
• I-240, Shelby County southbound (MM 25.0 to MM 28.0), two lanes will remain open.
• I-55, Shelby County southbound (MM 5.5 to MM 6.0), two lanes will remain open.
• I-55, Shelby County southbound (MM 5.5 to MM 6.5), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closures on I-55 southbound “Off” ramp to I-55 southbound at the I-55/I-240 junction.
• SR-385, Shelby County, westbound (MM 0.0 to MM 1.5), two lanes will remain open. Also, this will include a temporary ramp closure at SR-385 “On” ramp from Ridgeway and I-240 westbound exit ramp to SR-385.
• Wednesday December 12 through Wednesday December 19, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.: There will be possible lane closures at various locations in Region IV in order to patch potholes on an as needed basis.
TIPTON COUNTY SR-384: Construction of a concrete box beam bridge over drainage ditch log mile 7.08, including grading, drainage, and paving. Temporary traffic light was turned on November 26, 2012 and will remain on until completion of project. The northbound lane will be CLOSED. There will be one 11’ lane on bridge.
For more information on TDOT road construction projects or to view travel conditions visit the TDOT SmartWay Information System web site (http://www.tn.gov/tdot/tdotsmartway/). Motorists can also dial 511 from any land-line or cellular phone to access up to date traffic conditions. TDOT is also now on Twitter. For up to date traffic tweets for the Jackson & Memphis areas follow Memphis511 (http://twitter.com/memphis511). For statewide traffic information follow TN511 (http://twitter.com/TN511). Also, for smart phone users, TDOT has a new mobile site that provides simple and easy access to TDOT's SmartWay cameras, message boards, accident information, and construction information. Go to: http://m.tdot.tn.gov/SmartWay/
Motorists are reminded to use all motorist information tools responsibly. Drivers should refrain from texting, tweeting or using a mobile phone while operating a vehicle. TDOT advises drivers to “Know before you go!” by checking traffic conditions before leaving for your destination. All scheduled work is subject to change due to adverse weather conditions or other conditions beyond the control of the contractor.