Skip to Main Content

HHW Mobile Collection Service in Anderson, Montgomery and Sevier Counties on April 9

Thursday, March 31, 2011 | 10:14am
NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation’s mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Anderson, Montgomery and Sevier counties on April 9. 
“Our household hazardous waste mobile collection service provides the people of Tennessee with a safe, environmentally friendly way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals and other potentially hazardous wastes at no cost,” said Environment and Conservation Commissioner Bob Martineau. “This service travels across the state holding collection events in local communities, and we encourage all Tennesseans to take advantage of the opportunity to utilize it.”
On Saturday, April 9, any Tennessee resident may bring his or her household hazardous waste to the following locations. (Note that hours listed indicate the local time for each event. 
  • Anderson County – Oak Ridge Public Works Department at 100 Woodbury Lane from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Geoff Trabalka at (865) 463-6845.   
  • Montgomery County – Veterans Plaza at 350 Pageant Lane in Clarksville from 8 a.m. until 2 pm. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Pete Reed at (931) 648-5751.  
  • Sevier County – The Sevierville Municipal Complex at 200 Gary Wade Boulevard from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. The local contact for this HHW collection event is Elizabeth Reed at (865) 774-6677. 
Since the program’s inception in 1993, households have properly disposed of more than 20 million pounds of material. HHW material is considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage.
Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent bulbs, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals and paint thinner.  Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics, medical waste and any items from a school, commercial business or agri-business.
Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE as it is sometimes called. When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events. Contact your local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in your area.
When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets. Materials should be kept in the original container whenever possible. If not, place the waste in a plastic jug with a secure lid and label its contents.
For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit .

Press Releases | Environment & Conservation