Volunteers Needed For Fish Habitat Improvement
The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) is looking for volunteers to help with its 2008 winter fish habitat enhancement program in East Tennessee.
This winter, habitat enhancement is scheduled for Boone, Cherokee, Fort Loudoun, Norris, South Holston, and Tellico reservoirs.
Anyone planning on volunteering must contact the Region IV Office and register as a volunteer. The name, address, and Social Security must be on record.
A tentative schedule, weather permitting, has been set as follows:
- Chilhowee, Feb. 5-7, New Fishing Decks Hwy. 129, 10:00 am
- Norris, Feb. 12-14, Big Creek, 9:30 am
- Melton Hill, Feb. 19-21, Melton Hill Dam Ramp, 9:00 am
- Cherokee, Feb. 26-28, Call TWRA for location, 9:30 am
- Cherokee, Mar. 4-6, Call TWRA for location, 9:30 am
- Douglas, Mar. 11-13, Call TWRA for location, 9:00 am
- South Holston, Mar. 18-20, Call TWRA for location, 9:00 am
- Watauga, Mar. 25-27, Call TWRA for location, 9:30 am
For the areas not listing a work location, please call the Region IV Office (423-587-7037 or 1-800-332-0900) one or two days before scheduled work to get information on the launch site. It may be necessary to alter work schedules due to winter weather conditions.
Volunteers should call 423-587-7037 ext. 250 for instructions regarding volunteering.
Activities will include Christmas tree sinking, refurbishing old units and placing attractors around fishing piers.
Volunteers should bring a lunch, life preserver, and adequate clothing including boots and gloves.