TDOT Announces Availability of Grants for Community Landscaping Projects

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 | 07:00pm

Nashville, Tenn. – The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) announced an exciting new opportunity today that will help community groups and local governments beautify their communities. Beginning today those groups can begin applying to receive grants for landscaping and beautification projects along state highways and interstates.

Municipal and county governments are encouraged to apply for these grants. Civic and neighborhood groups such as garden clubs, chambers of commerce and development organizations demonstrating a partnership with their local governments will also be eligible to submit applications.

The Tennessee Roadscapes Grants will be awarded by TDOT on an 80:20 cost-share basis. TDOT will fund 80 percent of the cost of a project with the grant recipient contributing the remaining 20 percent. The minimum grant award is $10,000. Grants are derived from federal funds that are specifically earmarked for roadway enhancement projects.

Qualifying categories for grant applications include:

  • Community gateways and entry corridors
  • Interstate and highway interchanges
  • Highway crossroads
  • Scenic vistas and overlooks
  • Points of interest (e.g., historic sites, park entrances)
  • Exotic/Invasive plant removal
  • Native plant restoration
  • View shed/landscape enhancement
  • Stream bank/wetland restoration

“The Tennessee Roadscapes Grants will assist with localized efforts to enhance the aesthetic appeal of Tennessee roadways,” said TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely. “These environmentally-friendly landscaping projects will significantly advance the maintenance and improvement of Tennessee’s roadways while giving a value-added boost to our statewide tourism and economic development.”

Grant application materials are available through the TDOT web site at The deadline for submitting applications to TDOT is September 1, 2006. Grant applications will be reviewed by TDOT and a statewide advisory council. The program is set to continue on an annual basis, as federal funding availability allows.

Press Releases | Transportation