Mediation Efforts by TDCI Repays Over $8.2M to Tennesseans in 2021TDCI Insurance Division Recovers Money for Consumers
NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance’s (TDCI) announces that $8.2 million was returned to Tennesseans through its mediation and restitution efforts in 2021.
TDCI’s investigators mediated 2,929 complaints between consumers and insurance companies. These efforts resulted in previously denied claims being overturned and additional benefits identified and paid to consumers.
“Consumers often feel frustrated and overwhelmed dealing with insurance-related issues, I want to assure them that our dedicated Consumer Insurance Services team is ready to assist at all times,” said TDCI Assistant Commissioner Bill Huddleston. “Consumers should remember that filing a complaint is always an option when they feel a claim has been unjustly denied, or if they have questions or concerns about their insurance policies.”
TDCI regulates all lines of insurance and encourages consumers to contact the Consumer Insurance Services team with any insurance-related question or concern. Among consumers’ top complaints are claim denials, claim delays, unsatisfactory settlement offers, and out-of-network benefits.
Consumers should review these tips when working with their insurance company:
- Verify that an insurance company and an agent are licensed in Tennessee.
- Read the policy documents so you understand its provisions before filing a claim.
- Retain pictures and/or receipts for all contents on your property. Digital tools such as the NAIC Home Inventory App can assist when it comes to filing claims after a fire loss.
- Know your coverage limits for your auto policies, and what is required by state law.
- Visit a healthcare provider that is in-network with your insurance carrier.
- Purchase a new life insurance policy with the assistance of a licensed agent to help make the choices that are best suited for your personal needs. Life insurance policies often require personalization as well as require certain health factors to determine your eligibility for coverage.
If you have questions about consumer insurance, visit our website or contact us at 1-800-342-4029 or (615) 741-2218.