TDCI COVID Guidance 2020
The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance (TDCI) is sharing the steps we are taking to adapt to the challenges created by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. While the challenges to overcoming this pandemic are ever-changing, the TDCI team is committed to providing continuity of service and first-class customer service to all carriers, producers, and stakeholders during this challenging time.
Because of the changing nature of the pandemic, additional steps may be necessary in the future to help ensure the health and safety of our team and members of the public. As the situation evolves, we will be providing further guidance.
Here are some of the steps we have taken thus far:
- Social distancing. Our entire insurance team, as well as all members of our other Divisions, are now working remotely as part of following the social distancing strategies outlined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) and are fully operational. Remote working is a feature we incorporated across the Department several years ago through our Alternative Workplace Solutions (AWS) program. By deploying AWS now, we believe we can mitigate the spread of the virus while continuing to provide seamless, uninterrupted service to stakeholders. While we are working remotely, our team members will continue to provide timely responses and can assist with all requests. As part of following social distancing guidelines, we are no longer holding any in-person meetings or seeing walk-in customers at the Davy Crockett Tower, including hearings and any other form of gathering that includes members of the public. Please do not visit the Davy Crockett Tower at this time. If able, these meetings/hearings can take place telephonically, via the Web, by Skype or other digital tools. Please check with your point of contact at TDCI about how to communicate or how hearings will be held. (A list of contacts is provided at the end of this bulletin.) Additionally, our insurance producer testing centers (which are operated by Pearson Vue) have closed for 30 days through April 15, 2020. Please communicate with your point(s) of contact here by telephone, e-mail, or regular mail.
- Filing electronically. In order to be responsive and best serve stakeholders, we strongly encourage all entities to make filings electronically. If hard copy filings are required by statute, please supplement the hard copy filing with an electronic copy emailed to the appropriate contact in TDCI’s Insurance Division. In January, we began strongly encouraging all insurance companies to pay any fees electronically via OPTins. For more information, please see: https://www.tn.gov/commerce/news/2020/1/27/tennessee-modernizes-insurance-company-fee-payment-method.html. Insurance producers are encouraged to submit their renewal applications online at www.nipr.com as early as possible. Our licensees can verify and print their license online at www.statebasedsystems.com.
- Points of contact. It is important that filings, requests, and other communication occur by email rather than relying upon regular mail. Therefore, please use the following TDCI points of contact for communications, requests, and other filings:
- Insurance Company Financial Analysis including all financial statements, holding company filings and requests, and governance filings. Please email your company analyst or Hui Wattanaskolpant at Hui.Wattanaskolpant@tn.gov. Premium tax questions may be directed to Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- Self-Insured Companies for Workers Comp—Please email Kurt Polasko at Kurt.Polasko@tn.gov
- Other entity licensees:
- Auto Clubs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- CGIAs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- MEWAs: Kurt.Polasko@tn.gov
- PBM: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- PDDPs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- PEOs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- PPOs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- RPG & RRGs: Hui.Wattanaskolpant@tn.gov
- Reinsurers: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- Surplus Lines Insurers: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- TPAs: Kim.Blaylock@tn.gov
- Captive Insurance: Jennifer.Stalvey@tn.gov
- Consumer Insurance Services: firstname.lastname@example.org To file a complaint, visit us online and complete a form.
- For general questions, please contact the Financial Affairs Director, Trey Hancock, at Trey.Hancock@tn.gov.
As the situation evolves, our team will work to share information with stakeholders as quickly as possible. Please continue to monitor Governor Bill Lee’s COVID-19 response website for the latest information as well as our own website.
We thank you for your understanding during this unique and challenging time.