Skip to Main Content


Twenty types of licenses, permits and certificates of registration are generated or processed by the Permits and Licenses Unit of the Fire Prevention Division. The purpose of this program area is to ensure that qualified applicants are properly licensed under the State’s laws and regulations.

615-741-2981 |

Click on a license or permit category below for more information.

General Information | Explosives | Sprinklers | Fire Extinguishers | Fireworks| LP Gas | Cigarettes

General Information

  1. What is your mailing address/Where are you located?
    The Permits and Licenses Unit's mailing address and location are at 500 James Robertson Parkway, 9th Floor, Nashville, TN 37243.
  2. How do I obtain a licensure/permit application packet?
    Applications may be downloaded at the links provided below or you may call the Permits and Licenses Unit at (615) 741-2981 to have a packet mailed.
  3. How long does it take for applications to be approved?
    Once the application is received in the Permits and Licenses Unit, they are normally approved within 7-10 business days.
  4. What are the hours of operation for the Permits and Licenses Unit?
    The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Central Standard Time.
  5. Is testing required to obtain a license/permit with the State of Tennessee?
    Testing is required in order to obtain a license/permit as a Blaster, Limited Blaster, a Fireworks Operator, LP Gas Applicant, and RME for LP Gas and/or Fire Extinguisher Specialists and Technicians.
  6. What steps are needed to get tested?
    First, an application, required fees, and any other information requested in the packet of materials, must be submitted to the Permits and Licenses Unit. After all requirements are met, you will receive notification from the SFMO that you are eligible to register for testing. If testing for Blaster, Limited Blaster, LP Gas Dealer, or Fire Extinguisher Specialist the testing company is Morris and McDaniel. The Morris and McDaniel website is  If testing as a Fireworks Operator, you will receive a postcard requesting that you call the PSI testing agency to schedule your test. PSI's website is
  7. Do you provide study guide materials for the test?
    Study guide materials are not provided except for the blasters and limited blasters tests, which are available only to eligible applicants.
  8. What are the licensure/permit renewal dates?
    The renewal dates are as follows: Explosive Users – 3 year cycle; Fireworks Exhibitor - 1 year cycle; Fireworks Operator - 2 year cycle; Sprinkler Contractors - June 30th; LP Gas - March 31st, Fire Extinguishers and Annual Fireworks - December 31st.
  9. How do I get a replacement permit/license/card?
    Please complete the replacement form and return with the appropriate fee.
  10. How do I get my address changed or updated?
    Please complete the change of address form and return with the appropriate fee.
  11. How do I get a class approved to provide Continuing Education Credit?
    Download an application from the following link and submit it along with an outline of the course, instructor(s) biography, method and tools that will be utilized in the course, number of instruction hours provided, and the location, dates and times the course will be offered. Click here for the Continuing Education class request form.
  12. How do I file a complaint?
    To file a complaint, against a licensee/permittee, please visit the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance’s Complaint Assistant page.


1. What are the fees for explosive licenses/permits?

  • Blaster
    • New Application: $315
    • Renewal: $300
  • Firm
    • New Application: $765
    • Renewal: $750
  • Handler
    • New Application: $115
    • Renewal: $100
  • Limited Blaster
    • New Application: $215
    • Renewal: $200

2. How do I file a blasting notice?

TCA 68-105-103(k)(1)(A)  requires notice be given to the Department of Commerce and Insurance at least 72 hours before blasting operations commence.

Failure to give the required notice shall result in a fine of $100 for the first violation. A second or subsequent violation by the same person shall result in a fine of $500. Failure to complete all information is considered an invalid notice.

Click Here to file a blasting notice online.

3. When are the tests given for blasters and/or limited blasters?

Normally, the tests are given on the second Tuesday of every month. If the test is failed once, it cannot be taken again until after 30 days from the date of the first test. If the test is failed twice, a new application and fee must be submitted before the test can be administered the third time.

4. How can I get my blaster's license if I let it expire? Is there a grace period?

Yes, there is a one year grace period. If a blaster renews before one year of the expiration date, the renewal including the questionnaire form, renewal fee, a late fee of $25.00, and proof of continuing education units must be submitted. If it's after one year of the expiration date, he/she must reapply for registration, send in the applicable fee and take the examination.

5. Is there reciprocity in Tennessee for blasters?

There is no reciprocity with other states for explosive users in Tennessee.

6. Do I need a license to blast on my own property?

Tennessee Annotated Code 68-105-120 states as an exception, that explosives may be used without registration for occasional agricultural blasting. “Agricultural blasting” means stump removal, beaver dam or lodge eradication and other similar types of personal agricultural use.

7. Where do I go to obtain Continuing Education Units (CEU)?

Contact one or all of the following people to find out where and when sessions are being held that will give you the needed CEUs in order to renew your license:

  • Jim Bricker @ (615) 907-2336
  • Coleman England @ (859) 242-2100
  • Eric Grigoryan @ (615) 804-8258
  • Gregory Harris @ (615) 289-5902
  • Bill Loviza, Jr. @ (615) 226-2161
  • Jody Richy @ (615) 268-7671
  • Frank Sames @ (615) 456-2402
  • Larry Schneider @ (859) 312-0625
  • Charles Williamson @ (615) 859-5715, ext. 10

8. How do I contact the ATF about getting an explosives license?

  • Nashville #1 Field Office @ (615) 781-5368
  • Nashville #2 Industry Ops Office @ (615) 781-5563
  • Nashville #3 Field Office @ (615) 781-5364

9. To download an application, click on the appropriate profession link below:

2019 Annual Report on Blasting Fines in Tennessee [pdf]


  1. What licenses are needed to install fire protection systems?
  2. You must have a certification of registration, issued by the Tennessee State Fire Marshal's Office, Permits and Licenses Unit, as a Fire Sprinkler Systems Contractor with a licensed Responsible Managing Employee. You should additionally call the Contractor's Board at (615)741-8307 to determine if other licenses are needed.
  3. What type of certification do I need to install residential fire sprinkler systems?
    Tennessee law does not differentiate between residential and commercial fire sprinkler systems; therefore, you must register with the Tennessee State Fire Marshal's Office, Permits and Licenses Unit. You should additionally, call the Contractor's Board at (615)741-8307 to determine if other licenses are needed.
  4. To download an application, click on the appropriate profession link below:
    1. Sprinkler Firm/Contractor [core]
      1. Sprinkler Firm/Contractor [pdf]
    2. Sprinkler RME [core]
      1. Sprinkler RME [pdf]
    3. Renewal Application Sprinkler Firm/Contractor [core]
      1. Renewal Application Sprinkler Firm/Contractor [pdf]
    4. Renewal Application Sprinkler RME [core]
      1. Renewal Application Sprinkler RME [pdf]

Fire Extinguishers 

  1. Can I be a Specialist if I am opening my own company?
    Yes, as long as you are licensed as a Specialist.
  2. To download an application, click on the appropriate profession link below:
    1. Fire Extinguisher Firm/Branch [core]
      1. Fire Extinguisher Firm/Branch [pdf]
    2. Fire Extinguisher Specialist [core]
      1. Fire Extinguisher Specialist [pdf]
    3. Fire Extinguisher Technician [core]
      1. Fire Extinguisher Technician [pdf]
    4. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Firm [core]
      1. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Firm [pdf]
    5. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Branch [core]
      1. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Branch [pdf]
    6. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Specialist [core]
      1. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Specialist [pdf]
    7. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Technician [core]
      1. Renewal Application Fire Extinguisher Technician [pdf]
  3. Testing Information
    1. Testing through Morris & McDaniel. Please visit or call (888) 403-3577 to register for the exam and pay the required examination fee.
    2. Course Training and Testing through FPC (Fire Protection Certification). Please email for a registration form or call (888) 670-2965 for additional information.


  1. What are the fees for fireworks licenses/permits?
    1. Display: $50 per display
    2. Distributor: $1000
    3. Exhibitor: $1000
    4. Manufacturer: $1000
    5. Operator: $100 per certification (Maximum of $200)
    6. Retailer: $1000
    7. Seasonal Retailer: $100 per location (Seasonal Retail sales dates, June 20 through July 5 and December 10 through January 2 of each year)
    8. Wholesaler: $1000
  2. Can I give my permit or fireworks stand to another individual?
    No. The permit is issued to the owner of the fireworks stand for a specific location and is not transferable.
  3. I didn't receive my renewal. What should I do?
    Contact our office at 615-741-2981 to obtain a renewal application.
  4. To download an application, click on the appropriate profession link below:
    1. Fireworks Distributor
    2. Fireworks Manufacturer
    3. Fireworks Annual Retailer
    4. Fireworks Wholesaler
    5. Renewal Fireworks Annual Retailer / Wholesaler / Distributor / Manufacturer
    6. Fireworks Seasonal Retailer
    7. Fireworks Display
      1. Flame Effect Display Checklist
      2. Outdoor Fireworks Display Diagram Checklist
      3. Proximate Pyrotechnic Display Diagram Checklist
    8. Fireworks Exhibitor
    9. Renewal Fireworks Exhibitor
    10. Fireworks Operator
    11. Renewal Fireworks Operator
    12. Fireworks Continuing Education
    13. Candidate Information Bulletin
    14. Fireworks Sales in Tennessee
    15. Seasonal Consumer Fireworks Executive Signature List
    16. Fireworks Displays in Tennessee

LP Gas

  1. What is the first thing I need to do in order to set up a Class I bulk plant?
    Submit a Plot Plan of the area where you wish to build, along with a Fire Safety Analysis, to the Permits and Licenses Unit. These documents have to be reviewed and approved by the Codes Enforcement Section before any further steps are taken.
  2. How do I obtain a final inspection on our dispensing station and how long will it take to get the inspection?
    Notify the Permits and Licenses Unit that you are ready for a final inspection and they will send a Request for Inspection to the Codes Enforcement Section. The inspection is usually completed within 30 days.
  3. To download an application, click on the appropriate profession link below:
    1. LP Gas Class I Dealer [core]
    2. LP Gas Class II Dealer [core]
    3. LP Gas Class III Dealer [core]
    4. LP Gas Class IV Dealer [core]
    5. LP Gas Class V Dealer [core]
      1. LP Gas Dealer Application Class I – V [pdf]
    6. LP Gas Class VI Dealer [core]
    7. LP Gas Renewal Application - Class I - IV [core]
    8. LP Gas Renewal Application - Class V [core]
      1. LP Gas Renewal Application - Class V [pdf]
    9. LP Gas RME Change Form [pdf]

Some files are Adobe Reader® Files [pdf], 6.0 or higher. You may need to DOWNLOAD a free copy of Adobe Reader® to view these files.